Did They Change The Max Life Dex/Merc ATF Fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My distributor does not carry max life atf anymore so i figured i would pick some up at walmart or advance auto parts but i don't see it anymore. I see something like it but it says something like lv... Does anyone know if this is the same old max life dex/merc that lots of people loved? And is it the same formula in a different jug that worked really well or is this some one size fits all that may work ok new formulation????
I use this in my volvo In all my old Classic GM's in a 2001 escape v6 and some others i hope its the same formula.

I noticed same thing last month. Same exact.

Yes, they changed the label but not the fluid.

With your mystery location in NJ with all the work you can handle and then some. God bless you.

thumbsup2.gif

I just picked up two 1 gallon jugs plug a quart for some ATF drain and fills on the Buick. This is what I got.
8150020_vlv_vv322_pri_detl.jpg

So you cant find THIS anymore?

No i can't find that anywhere it seems like they changed to the new jug about 6 months ago i just hope they did not change the formula.. The new jug says something about mercon lv.

What did you pay for that? I think wal mart sells that but im not sure.

Don't know for sure, but I have a suspicion the formula was changed along with the new product label. Check the MSDS for a new date for confirmation.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Does that mean it is thicker or thinner and what do you mean by "some time"?

Much thinner as the trends for all fluids nowadays. (100 deg C viscosity went down from 7.x to slightly below 6.)

"Some time" is about since Sept 2012. That does not mean no one is not selling old stock. The pic posted in this thread is the old bottle.

The new bottle has "Full Synthetic" on the bottle.

I have both the old and the new. The part numbers are also different.

Last edited:
i was curious about the part numbers i dont know if i should trust this in an old trans that requires mercon or maybe thinner is better i don't know, I may just use the dex merc valvolive in the older blue bottle what does everyone think?

i just checked the part numbers i have on both the old jug and the new one and they are the same.... Part no. 773775 on both.

The new bottle says Full Synthetic

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i just checked the part numbers i have on both the old jug and the new one and they are the same.... Part no. 773775 on both.

The new bottle says Full Synthetic

The real old gallon bottle part number is: VV322

There might be a bottle change for the latest formulation so you are looking at these.

The VV322 was before Sept 2012.

Last edited:
The Maxlife MerconV initial visc issue is meaningless. Guess what MerconV shears to in 5k, 10k... or 30k miles? 5.5-6.5cst and it stills works fine sheared.

Before Amsoil spun off ATL from ATF, they were also attacked for being too thick for dexVI and too thin for mercV.

But I do give credit to PQIA for most of what they do. Initial visc on a spec with no shear stability is meaningless.

I wouldn't worry bottle, PN, marketing, or label change. Valvoline Maxlife works wells and has for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back