AV-Comparatives- Summary Report 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winner :Bitdefender
thumbsup2.gif

Top Rated:AVG,Avira,ESET,Emsisoft,F-secure,Fortinet,Kaspersky

http://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/avc_sum_201412_en.pdf

been using Bit for a wile now outstanding, light on resources don't even know its there.

Been running B on all my machines and love it for how unobtrusive it is.

However, I had to remove it from two of my parents' PCs recently as it was causing one of their apps to crash. Ended up replacing it with Avira on those PCs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Been running B on all my machines and love it for how unobtrusive it is.

However, I had to remove it from two of my parents' PCs recently as it was causing one of their apps to crash. Ended up replacing it with Avira on those PCs.

Did you notify support of the FP so they can address it?

It would seem that you would have a winner with either BitDefender or Kaspersky and really ESET for that matter (basically ranked 1, 2, and 3):

asPwYl.jpg

I wish Symantec had taken part in the test to see how they compare. Seems like they're one of the few big companies that didn't participate. Would've been nice to have a test done with all the big players in the market.

Originally Posted By: daman
Did you notify support of the FP so they can address it?

Not yet. I was waiting for the same issue to manifest itself on my own PC, but it never did.

The issue is probably because they are using an old version of that particular app, but I refuse to upgrade them to a new version as it's more of a resource hog and ads galore.

I just got tagged from someone @ work to fix her W7 laptop that she has no AV on, and let her kids browse the web.

As a home linux user, I have no interest in researching this; so thanks for making this task a bit easier.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I just got tagged from someone @ work to fix her W7 laptop that she has no AV on, and let her kids browse the web.

As a home linux user, I have no interest in researching this; so thanks for making this task a bit easier.

crazy2.gif

My top pay subscription -- ESET
My top free antivirus ---- Avira

I couldn't use Bit Defender two years ago. It messed with a couple of my programs / applications. Not sure which.... Malwarebytes, Spybot, SuperAntiSpyware or CCleaner

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

Since Microsoft dropped real support for Security Essentials I have seen a steady uptick (again) in malware. Busiest January in my recent memory. Bitdefender Free has been my go to for customers that are on the "tight" side. People are just ignorant, one of those things.

EDIT: AT@T McAfee- still have not figured what this does. Two desktops with that as the antivirus, both of them hammered with Trojans and one with multiple rootkits.

Last edited:
I had free mcafee from time warner roadrunner.. it was worse than free stuff. Slow, horrid pos AV.

I like ESET then kaspersky 1-2

I tried BD but it always caused some issues. So I had to uninstall.

I tried BD once and promptly removed it. Even its own applications would crash (its version of a hard drive cleaner or defragger or whatever it has bundled with it). ESET works fine for me, too, but I've sinced moved to Panda. It consistently gets high marks for free software and if I'm honest, we just don't participate in high risk activities (downloading torrents, etc). Most of our bandwidth is email/news/BITOG or streaming Netflix/Hulu/Prime, etc.

At risk of beating a dead horse
wink.gif
I bought a 10-user license of Bitdefender a couple of years or so ago based on good scores from AV reviews like this. Needless to say, I will never install (let alone buy) any Bitdefender again.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I tried BD once and promptly removed it. Even its own applications would crash (its version of a hard drive cleaner or defragger or whatever it has bundled with it). ESET works fine for me, too, but I've sinced moved to Panda. It consistently gets high marks for free software and if I'm honest, we just don't participate in high risk activities (downloading torrents, etc). Most of our bandwidth is email/news/BITOG or streaming Netflix/Hulu/Prime, etc.

I had problems with it too, in 2 Win 7 laptops and removed it. I'm using Panda AV free now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back