Is Toyota WS ATF really THAT bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read just a bit, but it is good enough to cover the warranty period. (60K) I don't see most BITOG'rs going much past that on ATF regardless of what fluid is used. So for us, moot point.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
It's overpriced for nothing special.

+1

Other ATF blends like MaxLife LV (Low Viscosity) have superior "full synthetic" basestocks and retail for 50% less (i.e. $16.97 per gallon at Walmart).

I have it in my Lexus, now the thing is the LS460 claims that it's a "lifetime fluid" and you never have to change it. Supposedly the transmission is a sealed unit and the fluid is never subjected to air - which keeps it fresh - but I changed mine at 72k. The fluid was black...not dark, but black. The magnets in the pan looked good, which surprised me with the fluid coming out like that, but imagine if I let it stay in there for "lifetime"? The stuff was black!

It's been 15,000 miles now since I last changed it, I'm going to change it again at 30k. I'm still going to use the WS fluid because I don't think there's anything wrong with it. There has been some UOA of it on here and it didn't look all that bad after 100k miles...not perfect, but it wasn't terrible.

Still the fact that Lexus calls this fluid "lifetime" is a scam and here's why...in Canada the very same car is recommended to have the transmission fluid changed at 60k miles!! Think about that! I found the link to that WS thread to be very very informative. It was excellent, but it didn't convince me not to use that fluid - just explained all the [censored] as to why Toyota called it lifetime fluid at one point. It's a scam.

My Dads LS430 has 110k on it, at 60kish he went to the dealer to change the ATF out since I mentioned he should do it.

He told me they brought out a waiver for him to sign..... so basically it still hasn't been changed.

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
You want bad ATF? Try Honda DW-1.

Can you back that up PLEASE?

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
You want bad ATF? Try Honda DW-1.

Utter rubbish, DW-1 is decent , it replaced ATF-Z1 which was ok but needed replaced often as low as 15000-30000miles in some applications.

Originally Posted By: thescreensavers
My Dads LS430 has 110k on it, at 60kish he went to the dealer to change the ATF out since I mentioned he should do it.

He told me they brought out a waiver for him to sign..... so basically it still hasn't been changed.

Really? I changed mine out and it's doing fine.

This reflects very BADLY on that $tealership. The car had its original fluid changed at 60k and they didn't ask for a waiver of liability but now somehow they feel the need for a waiver?

I'd be WARY of using that $tealership because I'm smelling a rat. Like perhaps they will deliberately damage the trans and then blame it on the drain and fill and try to bill you for a new unit???

Go somewhere else!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: doublebase
Lexus calls this fluid "lifetime" is a scam and here's why...in Canada the very same car is recommended to have the transmission fluid changed at 60k miles!!

What does Lexus USA have to say about that one?

I have found WS to be exceedingly "mediocre" -not per se "bad" but in no way is it good nor is it capable of what Toyota says it is.

Latest example was it shearing badly after 58k miles in mildly road-used late model 4runner, so badly it slipped on steeper hills once warm. After 58k from a dealer flush. Swapped to MaxLife and no problems anymore.

WS is overpriced, oversold, and underperforming.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Lexus calls this fluid "lifetime" is a scam and here's why...in Canada the very same car is recommended to have the transmission fluid changed at 60k miles!!

What does Lexus USA have to say about that one?

I really don't know what Lexus USA has to say about it. It's a raging debate on club lexus, and it's split pretty much right down the middle...half change it, half don't. Matter of fact that's where I learned that in Canada they want you to change it at 60k...a guy posted a picture of his owner's manual. And I read somewhere that in the middle east they change it every 50k.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

This reflects very BADLY on that $tealership. The car had its original fluid changed at 60k and they didn't ask for a waiver of liability but now somehow they feel the need for a waiver?

I'd be WARY of using that $tealership because I'm smelling a rat. Like perhaps they will deliberately damage the trans and then blame it on the drain and fill and try to bill you for a new unit???

Go somewhere else!!!!!!

I went to a dealer and the parts guy warned me to be careful changing the fluid and to make sure I got the level right because he's seen some go bad in as little as 700 miles, because of fluid level.

I don't think they're overly confident doing them at some places, because to replace that tranny has got to be 6k?? Mine's an 8 speed and I'm glad I changed the fluid because like I said, it was dark. It was a southern car and I think the fluid reacted poorly to the heat.

I went to a dealer and the parts guy warned me to be careful changing the fluid and to make sure I got the level right because he's seen some go bad in as little as 700 miles, because of fluid level.

Yah, 'cuz the parts guy would never upsell anyone, nor try to convince a customer that they should let the well-trained monkeys technicians out back do the work for them.

I changed the trans oil on my truck, and while it's a pain it's not rocket science. Get trans to temp, pull a plug. Add as necessary. I'd much rather a dipstick, which would then double as a fill tube; but since the diffs are essentially the same (minus the temperature bit) I'm not sure how much I ought to hate on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back