Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a working mechanic, the only ford I would buy would be an F-250 with the 6.2L.

Hands down the best vehicle they turn out. Every piece of equipment in that vehicle is best of class, IMO.

I wouldn't bother with any other Ford offering, though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: CT8
Lots of made in China parts tags on the Fords that I have been looking at. A $55,000 F150 pick up with made in China tires .Really doesn't bother anybody.?

Got any pics? Last one I looked at had Goodyear's on it
21.gif

No but I was shocked to see made in China tires on a pricy vehicle. They were Hankook the same brand that came on my daughters basic focus. They instantly wore out.

Lots of made in China parts tags on the Fords that I have been looking at. A $55,000 F150 pick up with made in China tires .Really doesn't bother anybody.?

21.gif

Within the past month, my employer bought two new Ford F150 trucks. Both of them had Hancook tires on them. As of today, I did not look at the origin of the tires.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Where is Fords mid-sized pick up truck?

In Europe.

The Ford T6!

Fords competitive advantage is in the consistently reliable cars and trucks they have made throughout the years. I have owned 4 of them and you want to know what I have done as far as fixing them? 1 thermostat, THATS IT. Everything else has been perfect. I cannot wait another 15 months till my daughter gets her license so I can find another 05-08 Mustang GT and drive it like an outlaw.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I don't have any complaints about my 03 Focus ZX5. However the new Focus and Fusion simply don't offer anything special to me. Pretty small interior and trunks, despite hefty outside dimensions when compared to the competition and their DCTs definitely need more R&D.

Having rented several Focuses with that transmission, I often wonder if anyone actually chooses to buy such a vehicle.

I don't know about that. I like my 3 yr old ford just fine, but it sure seems like Chrysler is a hard charger.

I like the vibe I get from Ford; it seems obviously run by highly opinionated engineers---for better or for worse.

I certainly wouldn't call them consistent. The flex is fairly bizarre. As far as the tires go hankook tires don't bother me in the least. Ford had a decades long relationship with Firestone and Firestone had no problem whatsoever sticking Ford with defective tires.

Last edited:
I don't think one can say they're the best at everything. I'm with SLCraig on this one. I like a little of all three. I like the styling of the F150 by I'm unsure of the Ecoboost, have no experience with it. I do like everything so far about the Silverado and Ram. The new Mustang looks like a Fusion, don't like it. I do like the 2014s though. I don't like the new look of the Camaro very much but do like the Challenger look but it is a bit dated. New Fusion is good looking, but again is an Ecoboost, don't know much about them. Don't like the new Charger looks. Chrysler really has turned around since the Fiat buyout.

None of the fords I (my family) has owned since 1989 has really aged well. The best was probably my 89 F150. Lots of electrical gremlins (my father's 198x SHO and 200x LS)

My 2006 B2300 is a giant rusting disaster underneath; really not impressed there. Like they planned to make it last 10 years.

I 'want' to like the focus or the new 3cyl, but a little man sits on my shoulder telling me not to do it.

Ford makes a nice FLEET car, or on a similar note, one for people who don't care about the car feeling nice or riding comfortably, people who just see cars as a utensil to get from A to B and back. I silently judge anyone that says/acts like they're a huge car person and then says they own a Ford. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, hard (and probably cheap) as a rock suspension. Quite reliable engines as far as American companies go, but ecoboost is sure trying its hardest to ruin that.

That said, Chrysler makes a vehicle with a nice interior, and possibly ride (not sure on this one), but absolutely horrid and money eating mechanical parts. Interior SEEMS nice, but really doesn't have the actual build quality so falls apart before say Lexus or M-B.

GM makes reasonably reliable engines, far more so than Chrysler, bit less than Ford except ecobreakdown. Best transmissions. Better interiors than Ford, but not quite as initially nice as Chrysler vehicles, although will last 5x longer at least. Fans are definitely more tolerable than muh ferd fans.

But hey this is just my opinion based on plenty of experience and stories.

some edit: Totally willing to change my view of Chrysler if they can show they build a mechanically sound car with an interior that doesn't fall off in the sun. but for now (off topic but how did Nissan manage that high of a rating with a below average bar extending to Nigeria?)

Last edited:
Huh? Ford took out billions in loans BEFORE the bailout so that they wouldn't have to go bankrupt.

He said he would take $1/year for pay if Ford had to take government bailout money. They didn't, so he didn't.

I read where the F-150 "brand" was used as collateral for some of the loans, but at least it was not bail out money and they paid it back rather quickly too.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
None of the fords I (my family) has owned since 1989 has really aged well. The best was probably my 89 F150. Lots of electrical gremlins (my father's 198x SHO and 200x LS)

My 2006 B2300 is a giant rusting disaster underneath; really not impressed there. Like they planned to make it last 10 years.

I 'want' to like the focus or the new 3cyl, but a little man sits on my shoulder telling me not to do it.
All that rust and 90k miles? How's the Echo for rustiness?

I like some of what Ford has right now. I am not a fan of the new trucks but that is mostly a styling thing. I thought the Mustang was fantastic about 5 years ago but they keep tweaking the looks of it and I dont much care for it now. I am looking forward to the Focus RS that is supposed to come here next year though.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

It was nice of Ford to label all the parts that would fail on my Mazda with FoMoCo or the Ford oval.

That is the best thing I've read so far this year. Thanks for improving my mood for the evening.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
As a working mechanic, the only ford I would buy would be an F-250 with the 6.2L.

Hands down the best vehicle they turn out. Every piece of equipment in that vehicle is best of class, IMO.

I wouldn't bother with any other Ford offering, though.

I kind of have to agree.

A lot of this is subjective. Ford is certainly trying harder in certain segments than they have in the past, but I am losing interest in their vehicles. Win some, lose some I guess.

I love 1970s-early/mid 2000s Ford trucks. Something about their general design just works for me in a vehicle. I can't pin it down to one thing, but whether it's a 1994 Explorer, 2002 Ranger, 1997 F-150, 1995 F-250, etc...they all seem familiar to me. Somewhere in the mid 2000s, I just stopped liking most of their current offerings, at least more than the competition. It's like a group of engineers retired/moved elsewhere.

If I was going to buy a new Ford, a Super Duty with a gas engine would be about the only thing on my list. I might consider an F-150, but I just don't like it that much over the Silverado and Ram. I would honestly rather drive a nice 1996 F-150 than a brand new one.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

21.gif

Within the past month, my employer bought two new Ford F150 trucks. Both of them had Hancook tires on them. As of today, I did not look at the origin of the tires.

Can you? I'm now interested.

Originally Posted By: horse123
Ford makes a nice FLEET car, or on a similar note, one for people who don't care about the car feeling nice or riding comfortably, people who just see cars as a utensil to get from A to B and back. I silently judge anyone that says/acts like they're a huge car person and then says they own a Ford. Cheap interior, cheap exterior, hard (and probably cheap) as a rock suspension. Quite reliable engines as far as American companies go, but ecoboost is sure trying its hardest to ruin that.

Well, I own a Ford. And I'm a car person. And our Expedition is wonderful to drive on 18hr journeys with the kids. But hey, you go ahead and silently judge away. After all, I think a statement like that says more about you than it does about the person you see fit to judge based solely on the brand of vehicle they drive.

How much wrenching experience do you have? How many engines have you built? That's usually the metric I use for gauging how much of a car person somebody is, doesn't matter what they drive. IndyIan tracked a Neon for years. That makes him a car person in my books, far moreso than many that own "drivers cars" and the closest they've gotten to a racing event is taking corners fast on their way to work
smirk.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back