Purolator PL24651 - 6,201 miles - Factory crush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, this turned into an interesting one. There was no media failure, let's get that out of the way, but the internal assembly had been mildly crushed on one side, causing the jagged appearance of the media you see below. This was absolutely not done by me at any stage. My hand saw never contacted the filter media or end plates, I used no force at all in removing the base plate, and the can is completely in uncompromised.

Whatever happened to this thing, it happened in Purolator's factory. Given the uncompromised exterior, even a drop wouldn't explain this.

However, I must say that this did not result in any media failure, the ADBV was pliable and functional, and there are no signs that operation was compromised. So, all in all, no harm done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good..... and might have gone to 7500 IMO. PureOne's might be back in a favorable light as they were before the tearing issues. IMO, always been a good mid-tier filter.

As you said "no harm, no foul".

I've read it a lot here, but how can a person look at a oil filter and say it will go another XXX miles?
Isn't it "good" until the bypass starts opening because it's loaded up with contaminants?

Can a mod edit the title of my thread to reflect the correct filter number, PL24651? My auto fill overrode me without my knowledge.

I know the filter could have gone longer, but with everything going on, I didn't want to do a big long OCI on a filter that was possibly nonfunctional.

I have a Fram Ultra on her now that will be staying there for 2 7500 mile OCI's.

I wouldn't say it appears crushed.. Just wavy pleats. Here's a MC off my dads truck with around 6k.

21ae59f.jpg

Puro until about 10 years ago used to wrap a string around their media to control expansion, apparently to make inserting it into the filter can easier.

The string was wrapped around to help build and the glue to dry I read it some where on the Internet so it has to be true

No, it's crushed. I tried taking a picture of it, but it's hard to get the right angle. The top of it where the media looks funny is visibly tilted down. I didn't even concern myself with the media appearance until I noticed that.

But the media hadn't failed, to be fair, or the filter otherwise compromised. The center core was straight as an arrow, and the base plate perfectly aligned.

As long as we do not start sering new gangs of media failures, I would love for these filters to rejoin the family. The yellow can with the all-over grip was a sight that always received my nod of approval.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I wouldn't say it appears crushed.. Just wavy pleats. Here's a MC off my dads truck with around 6k.

+1 ... it's just typical "wavy pleats" seen in a lot of Purolators.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No, it's crushed.

I see what you're talking about...it's more than just "wavy pleats". You can see it best in the second-to-last pic, on the right side.

Still looks like it did its job. You make a billion filters a year, some are bound to be rejects. No harm, no foul. Thanks for the cut and post!

I would think wavy pleats could cause the filter to appear crushed. That's how my MC looked.. They kind of curled in and made it appear twisted and compressed.

As OP noted, the core and end caps were straight.

Looks like a wire backed filter was the right choice.
laugh.gif

I see what the OP is talking about. The sharp angle on some of the pleats does not look like the typical "waviness" often observed.

Didn't we see something like this on a Motorcraft fairly recently???

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No, it's crushed. I tried taking a picture of it, but it's hard to get the right angle. The top of it where the media looks funny is visibly tilted down. I didn't even concern myself with the media appearance until I noticed that. ....

I see what you're talking about...it's more than just "wavy pleats". You can see it best in the second-to-last pic, on the right side.

Yeah, I see what you're talking about too.

One side is parallel, and the other side is not. Whatever force caused this to happen, the center tube held up enough to remain straight, and allow the surrounding plate to deform. Must be one strong tube.

Like I said, it's worth noting, but neither the oil, engine, or filter media cared. I actually tried to induce media failure on the stressed area gently using a screwdriver, and the media held fast. I even tried to separate the part where the ends of the media are joined together, using a razor blade, and no give.

Despite its appearance, this filter was about as likely to become a celebrated concert pianist, as it was to have media failure.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
Are the top and bottom end caps parallel to each other?

I guess "coplanar" is more accurate.

Hello, some times filter elements can collapse from high pressure when the driver is revving the engine too high soon after start up in sub zero temps. Maybe some filters are more susceptible to this kind of failure.

A link to a PDF article talking about post start high pressures collapsing the filters from revving on a cold engine. In the article a different application is presented but the same principle applies.
Alaska Cold starts how oil filters can fail.

Last year I opened a cheap filter from a Tiburon V6 that had failed internally from the owner pushing the engine too soon after start up during cold days when it was -14*F last winter. Some of the pleats were laying down flat against the center tube and one was torn causing filtration failure. There was also a lot of aluminum picked up in the filter that could have come from the oil pump housing. The filter case body was also ballooned out form the excessive pressures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back