Has your cellphone replaced your watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I've never worn a watch, and these days if I'm not at a computer, or in the car, I'll just glance at my phone. The thought of wearing a watch just feels uncomfortable, there is this weird heavy awkward thing on my wrist. I don't like it.

I love my watches. Probably it dates back to my Superman comics days, when Jimmy Olsen wore his special watch with which he'd call Superman if he got in a jam. Then came James Bond and his Rolex Oyster Perpetual, and I was hooked. My first "real" watch was a Timex Electric in 1966, and I've worn one ever since. Finally I took the plunge and bought a used Sub in 1998, and a ca 1971 Date model a couple of years later.

When I bought my cell phone and started to set it up, it immediately reached out to someplace in the ether and set the time by itself. It's off by a minute or so from my standard, the Weather Channel (which used to get its time from WWV and therefore from the Atomic Clock in Boulder). And I've yet to find a way to reset the phone's time manually. I don't use it much anyway.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
No. And it never will.

I need to know the precise time throughout my day. I work in places where cellphones are either off, inconvenient, or a security breach.

But a good watch is right there where I need it to be. I don't have to take my hands off the airplane controls to glance at it, I can have it in a secure facility and it's a titanium case so it goes through airport security on my wrist.

Exactly. And beyond that, I wear a digital solar-powered watch with a stopwatch function for exercising. No way I'd drag a cell phone along for a jog.

I'm 62 and have been wearing a watch since I was 16 years old. The one time I had a watch band break and was without my watch for a few days, I was lost! Course there were no cell phones back then.

My watch is like a friend, always there and I can always count on it.

I get the feeling that more than a few here have a watch fetish
I never knew that even existed til now

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

I see considerably more people touching their phones inappropriately than I see watchowners fondle their watches.

hotwheels

You expected people wouldn't be particular about their watches? On a site where we obsess over motor oil?
smile.gif

I know one thing for sure. Each time someone who doesn't wear a watch asks me for the time, I refuse to tell them anything other than that it's clearly high time to get a watch or to just wing it.

I got my first watch from my grandmother when I entered first grade.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman

You expected people wouldn't be particular about their watches? On a site where we obsess over motor oil?
smile.gif

I like your username!
grin.gif

I have 3 watches I rotate, a timex expedition, a MikeroweWORKS watch I got with a donation, and a fossil automatic my wife got me for christmas

the mechanical is by far my favorite

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

Love the SARB033, great movements in the SARB.

I still wear a watch, actually stopped for a while and got back into wearing them a few years ago. It's great to be able to check the time without digging out the phone, or looking impatient in a meeting.

Absolutely, I think its one of the best movements you can get for the price. Keeps impeccable time, hacking, handwinding, date function (which I prefer), and the build quality of the case and bracelet is wonderful.

Nope. My old G-Shock Casio never requires charging, withstands immense physical abuse, waterproof, etc. How many cellphones can say that?

I stopped wearing a watch years ago. Not necessarily due to owning a cell phone but more because I'm surrounded by computers and other devices that have clocks in them. I also realized I was more relaxed not knowing exactly what time it was every minute of the day. I would check the time somewhat obsessively for no reason. Things like going to the movies was a bit more relaxing since I wasn't dong math in my head trying to figure out how much longer the film was, I could just sit there and enjoy it. It used to feel strange not wearing it, now it feels strange having it on since it seems to get in the way more often than not. I actually don't know where it is at this point.

well, I've been using my smarphone as my watch. but the NEW thing is:
"Apple watch" coming soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back