Table saw that can affix a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Recommendations? I'm partial to stuff I can get at local box stores and Amazon, but I'm open to suggestions. Also may shop CL for used.

I've seen attachments that allow you to use the table saw table as a router table too. That's definitely what I'd want, as a router is a definite desirable add on for doing various jobs.

So, recommendations?

I too would build my own router table.
If fact I have two routers, One a Ryobi that lives in the router table. the other a Makita for use Out of the table.

I would not want to tie up my Table saw, having to detach other tools in order to use it.
Often my Table saw and router table get used in tandem, cutting a molding on stock, then cutting the molding from the stock before molding on a new edge.

Don't skimp on the table saw!
Get something solid big and heavy. 1 1/2 - 2 hp minimum, best to plan on running 220v

Last edited:
I see that attachement. It looks difficult to use. For some things or when you are by yourself, you need to face the router fence. I use an older sears router on a sears table top router table i bought my dad 20 years ago.
I would probably get a router table you and move about and screw down when you need it.

This is much nicer than what i use and its portable. Unless you plan to take up cabinetry, a grizzley table saw is way overkill. And it will take up space. Probably 230v too.

http://www.sears.com/router-and-router-t...mp;blockType=G3

Last edited:
I inherited a Delta Unisaw and I think you are better off with a quality table saw and a different router table.

BTW - the Delta Unisaw I first used when I was old enough for my Dad to let me (I am guessing 10) and I am 61 now.

I got a kit from Lee Valley that will let a router drop thu a hole you cut in a wood/mdf/type extension. It fixes to the router as a base plate, and catches a lip you route in the extension. There are other outfits that make rectangular ones, this one happens to be round. MLCS woodworking has that sort fairly cheaply.

Pros- it works great with the separate base I've got for my plunge. Dust collection is somewhat easier with a fixed table.

Cons - it does tie up the saw fence if you don't plan ahead for your projects. I've had it for 7+ years and still end up re-setting things.

I've been meaning to rebuild my tablesaw wings and to incorporate a router into one of them. My saw is on a rolling cabinet I built years ago so I can wheel it out of the way and put the sled in the garage. Sure makes it convenient. I currently have a stand-alone large bench top router table I built years ago. The plans for it came from ShopNotes.

You can also find some great router plans for jigs, etc. and a router-table-in-the-wings in Bill Hylton's book Router Magic on page 183.

When I do this, I won't be using a removable rectangular clear plate in the table top. It's too easy for the table to warp over time, plus the plate can warp if made from acrylic or polycarbonate plus your wood can catch at this joint unless it's perfect. I plan on attaching a separate base for my PC router to the underside, then using a set of adapter rings with various dia. openings to accomodate different dia. bits. He describes how to make your own on page 173. You can make yourself a whole set of these + extras and develop your skills.

Finally, Hylton recommends never cutting a slot for a tablesaw miter gauge in the top of a router table: It weakens it and makes it prone to warping over time. I concur.

I'll be using Corian or similar material for new wings as well. Really holds up better than Formica, is easily cleaned of glue drops with a cabinet scraper and looks really nice. I get scraps for free from a local kitchen countertop manufacturer. Granite hasn't completely taken over yet!

+1 on Lee Valley's circular router insert plate + their steel router table and aluminum fence. Really nice set-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back