Grease for clutch fork/slave cylinder rod contact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a Subaru with an intermittent squeak on clutch actuation, and one of the common simple causes seems to be a lack of grease where the clutch slave cylinder pushrod contacts the lever connected to the clutch fork. The recommendation is to grease this, and usually it seems like lithium grease is the recommended lubricant. But in my limited experience lithium grease can dry up and get kind of nasty, and I also have a huge tube of Sil-Glyde high temp silicone grease which seems like it might be a better fit anyway.

Anything wrong with using silicone grease for this type of thing, or does lithium grease have some advantage I don't know about?

Schaeffer's has tacky moly grease that has a bentone base, which doesn't seem to "dry" out as readily as some lithium base greases do. Did I mention it's tacky? Plus it has a hefty dose of moly that seems to, stubbornly, linger around even after the grease is wiped off (good in this case).

I've also had good success with Superlube's synthetic multi purpose grease that has PTFE. Believe it is silicon base if your worried about contact with natural rubber. Has been working well in the auto trans shift linkage in one of my vehicles.

Schaeffer's #260 or 248

Last edited:
I don't have a feel for what qualifies as tacky but sounds like maybe I should get something other than the sil-glyde I have. Red 'N' Tacky looks like it's available locally, not sure about Schaeffer's products or SuperLube.

I'd think that Moly brake grease would also work. I use it for my brake jobs, and the stuff stays around for a long time and does not wash out. I'll being using it when I replace the slave cylinder in my Miata this spring.

Thanks for the input, all. I'll just go to the store and pick out whatever tacky red lithium complex, or moly based grease then.

I would use the Syl-glide with confidence if that is whats on hand. Certainly will last AT LEAST as long as a lithium complex grease, maybe longer.

Lots of good options out there, I can't speak to the Schaeffers but it has a great reputation and I'll get around to trying it eventually. Triflow Synthetic grease or Motorcraft XG-3A might be my personal top picks but something with a high moly content sounds about right, also.

If you're looking for tacky, look no further. This stuff stays put UNDER WATER. Made for swimming pool pump basket covers. Specifically their o-rings. This is a one time application and stays for years. Pick it up at your swimming pool supply place. It's a silicon lube with teflon. High heat and so on...... This stuff puts red and tacky to shame. Get some on your hands and you'll find out.

http://www.aladdin1950.com/files/9713/7155/9899/Magic_Lube.pdf

magiclube-im-400x320.jpg

slomo

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back