1/27/15 blizzard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dashcam shows mostly XJ Cherokees having a good time with snow shooting out their fenders.
01.gif

And yeah at the end I hit snow with my bumper that crashed over the hood and windscreen.
27.gif

Slightly jealous. Was looking forward to some great snow driving last night and today, but it was a huge letdown in these parts.

Looks fun! We haven't had any good storms yet this year, and I've only got to plow the driveway twice... Not good sledding weather at all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
05 neon rolling on 185/65/14 altimax artics.
laugh.gif

Have the exact same setup on my Corolla and it's pretty unstoppable in snow.

Originally Posted By: deven
32 inches and counting here

Blah. I had to go to work today. It sucks outside right now. The plow people are doing the best they can but this snow is just coming down at too fast of a rate.

FWIW My Equinox performed like a champ.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
05 neon rolling on 185/65/14 altimax artics.
laugh.gif

Have the exact same setup on my Corolla and it's pretty unstoppable in snow.

I have 205/55/16 (Yokohama Avid Touring) on my 2000 Neon and when driving the dirt road to the water fall in Verde River not once did I feel that my car was not able to handle it.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
What are they out for, spare parts?

Cherokees are an absolute blast to drive in the snow! The rear end is super light on them, so breaking the rear end free is easy. And, when the rear end does break free, they won't go around too quickly, because the rear is so light. Great for controlled snow drifting!

They won't move in the deep snow in 2WD, though. But once you put them in 4HI, they'll go through snow up to the headlights.

As long as you don't back it into a 3' ditch, that is. Don't ask me how I know that one.

QPgcyYF.jpg

Well, the Subaru got stuck (due to clearance) while trying to get out of my spot. After backing up a little and only a minute of shoveling or so of shoveling I was able to slowly extricate myself. It was a little embarrassing having to explain that it was the tires causing the issue when asked, "isn't that thing AWD?"

I had a very similar issue, though worse, a while back in my STI with aggressive all-season tires. The three limited-time differentials (center fully locked) and vehicle dynamics control applying brakes as needed did not help, since ALL FOUR WHEELS HAD LITTLE TO NO TRACTION. A set of WS-70s fixed that.

/digression

The Civic, which was parked next to the Subie, took the same path without any issues. The tires spun, but with a steady, light throttle I kept moving forward through the worst and deepest, and was soon in the clear. I waved to my neighbors who questioned the snow-prowess of my Subie and explained, "it's all about the tires!" as I drove by.

The Civic was the only car in the lot that did not need assistance getting out (except for one or two who were plowed and shoveled out and had a slight downgrade to help them.)

If I can't find a cheap set of wheels this wiring or summer I'm going to bite the bullet and get a snow setup on the Subie, even if it's costly.

I'm sorry, eljefino, I posted on my phone thinking this was my thread! I was browsing this and other threads between shoveling sessions and didn't check to see which I was replying to. If it's an issue, I have no problem with a mod deleting my posts.
11.gif

Originally Posted By: Miller88
What's the minimum size wheel it can take? I find 5x100 wheels on CL all the time. Usually 15'' and 16''

I don't think 16s will fit, though I'd have no problem going that route. Aren't most Impreza wheels 16"? I'll have to see if I can find someone willing to let me test fit a wheel. I'll try to measure brake rotor clearance between now and then, too.

//

I took the Subie out to see how the side roads are and everything was fine for driving 25 MPH or so. The roads are plowed, but there's still a hard-packed layer -- luckily it stayed so cold, so the layer is crunchy and relatively grippy.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't think 16s will fit, though I'd have no problem going that route.

According to TireRack, 17" is the smallest wheel that will fit on your car. They sell 17" steelies for $67 a piece.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Was the car sliding around at the very end there?

Sure! I did a last minute bob/weave around a plow furrow just left in the middle of the highway.

The flat lighting makes the things sneak up on ya.
wink.gif

If it were sunny with shadows the video would be a better quality as well.

Y'all feel free to stick pics on this thread, it'll be more condense that way.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Was the car sliding around at the very end there?

Sure! I did a last minute bob/weave around a plow furrow just left in the middle of the highway.

The flat lighting makes the things sneak up on ya.
wink.gif

If it were sunny with shadows the video would be a better quality as well.

Y'all feel free to stick pics on this thread, it'll be more condense that way.
It's been my experience that good quality fog lamps with yellow tint provide more contrast in "flat light" conditions. There is some science to why the French used yellow tint on ALL their headlampfor so long. It's still perfectly legal in Europe but the EU requires "white" as OEM.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't think 16s will fit, though I'd have no problem going that route.

According to TireRack, 17" is the smallest wheel that will fit on your car. They sell 17" steelies for $67 a piece.

Right, I saw that, though I didn't remember them being so cheap. I've been holding out for some OEM wheels, like the 17" XV Crosstrek's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back