Mah new beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Out curiosity, did your car come with a remote key fob?

If not, would you like said functionality?

No it didnt. I did add a cheapo aftermarket remote to it, but it quit working a couple months ago. Even before a telehandler ran over my keys and smashed the fob.
I do plan on making it work again.
Why?

Get in, shut the doors

From off, insert the key, cycle from off to ignition on (dash lights no crank) 8 times, the 8th time stopping in the on position.

Do the door locks cycle?

No, that won't work as it doesn't have a DDM. Ive been in the door and none is present.

...really?
Wow, way to cheap out Ford.
I thought like the Windstars/Taurii, it was part of the GEM.

Wouldn't mind trying it to justify my confusion?

Wait, FSM says a different procedure
Turn the key from OFF to RUN four times within three seconds, ending in RUN. The locks will then lock and unlock, confirming program mode has been entered.
Press any button on each remote transmitter to be programmed. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
If additional remote transmitters are to be programmed, repeat Step 3 within 7.5 seconds or Steps 2 and 3 if more than 7.5 seconds have elapsed.
To exit program mode, wait at least 20 seconds.
NOTE: Failure to wait at least 20 seconds will cause programming failures.

Wait at least 20 seconds after turning the key to OFF or after the last remote transmitter has been programmed to activate a remote transmitter for testing and verification.

If it doesn't respond to that, perhaps obtain a used DDM and plug it in? Lots of FoMoCo features are plug and play.

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
No, that won't work as it doesn't have a DDM. Ive been in the door and none is present.

...really?
Wow, way to cheap out Ford.
I thought like the Windstars/Taurii, it was part of the GEM.

Wouldn't mind trying it to justify my confusion?

Wait, FSM says a different procedure
Turn the key from OFF to RUN four times within three seconds, ending in RUN. The locks will then lock and unlock, confirming program mode has been entered.
Press any button on each remote transmitter to be programmed. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm that each remote transmitter has been programmed.
If additional remote transmitters are to be programmed, repeat Step 3 within 7.5 seconds or Steps 2 and 3 if more than 7.5 seconds have elapsed.
To exit program mode, wait at least 20 seconds.
NOTE: Failure to wait at least 20 seconds will cause programming failures.

Wait at least 20 seconds after turning the key to OFF or after the last remote transmitter has been programmed to activate a remote transmitter for testing and verification.

If it doesn't respond to that, perhaps obtain a used DDM and plug it in? Lots of FoMoCo features are plug and play.

Yeah, Ive tried it. Doesn't work. Unless the car had been optioned with RKE it wouldnt receive the DDM. The door harness is different. Has all the unecessary wires deleted. Remember, I have to use Run/Acc power to operate my window switch lights since the police harness does not have the wire from the dash illumination circuit to the doors.
It wasn't until 2005+ when they went to the CAN networked computers that you could add stuff like this to a car that didnt come with it.

I figured out what Im going to do with the paint on that quarter. There is a company in Spokane that can mix automotive paint and load it into aerosol cans. Im gonna use a DA sander to bring it down to bare metal and spray it with self-etching primer before I paint it though. It wont be too hard to mask off and do just that fender.
I have a friend from work that basically does that as his job. Go around and spray paint equipment. He's gonna help me.
I already know its gonna look like an orange peel. But, itll be far better than the rust that is going to show up eventually.
I already see rust at the roof edge where it meets that quarter. Ill probably hand sand and softline the paint up past it just for the time being.
I'll have to wait until warmer and less moist weather or it'll be run city and not just orange peel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back