amsoil ATM 10w30, catch can uoa, 2000 3.8 windstar

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb

out of a aftermarket catch can installed along the pcv valve-to-intake line. collected over the course of 5 months, 7511 miles.
Code:

OIL ATM 10W30

MILES(TIME IN USE) 7511

MILES 169K

MAKEUP OIL 0

SAMPLE TAKEN 4-OCT-10

LAB OAI

IRON 5

CHROMIUM 0

NICKEL 0

ALUMINUM 1

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 0

CADMIUM 0

SILVER 0

VANADIUM 0

SILICON 42

SODIUM 3

POTASSIUM 1

TITANIUM 0

MOLYBDENUM 48

ANTIMONY 0

MANGANESE 0

LITHIUM 0

BORON 293

MAGNESIUM 12

CALCIUM 3106

BARIUM 0

PHOSPHOROUS 683

ZINC 769

WATER 0

cSt @ 212ºF 9

FUEL 5.3

TBN 8

OXIDATION 48

NITRATION 22

Interesting collection method. Shows high fuel but I would ignore that since this is liquid drop out from the crankcase fumes. Which is bound to be hydrocarbon laden.
I don't really know how this would correlate to what in the crankcase as far as wear or anything. To me it looks too low to be real. Only thing that sticks out is the high silicon. Use any silicone sealers somewhere on the engine recently? Other source would be air filtration.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Only thing that sticks out is the high silicon. Use any silicone sealers somewhere on the engine recently? Other source would be air filtration.

nothing else was disturbed. my thought was that it was from the length of fuel hose i used in plumbing to the catch can? or perhaps sealer used on the petcock of the can? the can itself was metal.

After looking at this one I went back and looked at your others you posted and they all show it too all the way back to the beginning when it was 129; but never any excess wear. I dont know what it is but I guess no harm, no foul.

Last edited:
Reactions: pb
Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
So......To ask a different question.......How much volume was in the can, after 7500 miles?

5 ounces. in colder weather expect a bit more than in summer.

The TBN is fairly high. I wondered if this was additives or base oil that was evaporating and it looks like the vapors are mostly additives.

Your catch can UOA showed fuel at 5.3. What is fuel content for the oil in the sump? I'm curious what benefits a catch can provides specifically to reducing the amount of fuel in the oil. Do you have before UOA that shows fuel in the oil sump as compared to after the install of the catch can?

Why would a catch can reduce anything in the oil? It is just catching what is going to be burned in the cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back