Mobil Super Syn 5W-30 in a 05 Saab 9-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil is dexos approved, which supposedly replaces the old Saab/GM spec. How long do you think I should run this oil?

A couple UOA would be more telling than our opinions. But, if not interested in UOAs, i would run it ~7000 miles since MS5K (non-syn) expresses a 5000 mile 'guarantee'.

Last edited:
So it's an 05 Saab - is it Turbo or non-Turbo - most people won't take the time to look it up & certainly many aren't familiar with Saab models. What is the current mileage on the car? The previous history including OCI duration and oil type previously used? What is the current usage - miles driven per month, city, highway, trips, etc? Sump capacity, engine size, does it currently use-leak oil? The more info you give up front, the greater the chance of getting an informed answer to your question.

Hello, Is your car a 2.3L 4 cyl. or the V-6?

Either way it's turbocharged. I do not know what DEXOS means specifically but the old spec was an ACEA A3,B3 oil.

We have 4 Saabs in the family at the moment and we use Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula and have been with no problem, no smoke etc. I use a 5,000 mile OCI. I figure the turbo is hot and makes dirt.

I've read here that the Mobil1 0W-40 is a real Group IV (PAO) oil and is the cat's meow. If Dexos is that good, great. If you don't know, why mess with success? Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira

Either way it's turbocharged. I do not know what DEXOS means specifically but the old spec was an ACEA A3,B3 oil.

We have 4 Saabs in the family at the moment and we use Mobil1 0W-40 European Formula and have been with no problem, no smoke etc. I use a 5,000 mile OCI. I figure the turbo is hot and makes dirt.

I've read here that the Mobil1 0W-40 is a real Group IV (PAO) oil and is the cat's meow. If Dexos is that good, great. If you don't know, why mess with success? Kira
How does a turbo make dirt?

Originally Posted By: Kira

Couple of things.

1) All M1 oils have a base stock of grp 3-4-5, not just PAO.

2) Turbos do not make "dirt". However because of turbo high temps, lower quality oils can cause carbon deposits and cause per-mature turbo bearing failure. M1 oils are excellent in preventing these types of deposits. M1 5-30 has the Honda turbo(HTO-06 high heat low deposit spec. M1 0-40 should perform very well also.

Last edited:
The car is new to me, but I see that the previous owner went to Jiffylube and usually got Pennzoil synthetic 5w-30. The car has a 4 cyl. with a turbo. Car has 96K miles.

Last edited:
Any kind of name brand synthetic will do the trick. There is just no definitive evidence I've ever seen in many years that any one synthetic is really best. Valvoline, Mobil, Pennzoil, Quaker State, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Castrol, Havoline, Kendall, all make good products. There is probably not a rat's patoots difference between them all.

I have owned an '03 9-5 Aero since new, it now has 201k miles and has never required any engine work. Original turbo, timing chain, etc. I am partial to 5W-40 synthetics. 0W-40 is another popular choice. Saab actually spec'd a 5W-30 semi-synthetic back when the car was introduced but XW-40 also fits the bill according to the manual.

jeff

The only hint of difference is maybe get an oil where the maker actually claims you can go 15,000 miles on it, like M1 Extended Performance, Castrol Edge Extended Performance, Amsoil Signature Series oils. Thats what I recommend for some hope of extra performance.

Forgot to note the appropriate interval - 5,000 miles. The "time for service" indicator will tend to suggest ~8-9k or so, but this engine's sludger history, relatively small sump, and oil analysis results strongly recommend a shorter interval. Generic recommendations about oil do not apply to these cars.

jeff

I was thinking that 5k miles would be good for this oil, too.

Is Mobil Super synthetic comparable to Quaker State Ultimate Durability?

While the QSUD seems like a pretty stout oil at a decent price, I never understood the popular oil companies making a "low" tiered synthetic.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Is Mobil Super synthetic comparable to Quaker State Ultimate Durability?

While the QSUD seems like a pretty stout oil at a decent price, I never understood the popular oil companies making a "low" tiered synthetic.

QSUD is likely marginally better, based on the extra 4718M spec QSUD meets. And QSUD also meets Honda HTO-06 as well.
They are both dexos1 performance levels at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back