How long will a filter last filled w/oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend who only puts 1000 miles a year on his motorcycle. He changes the oil every 4 years. Would allowing oil to sit in a filter that long adversely effect the filter media?

Note: I have advised him to go no longer than 18 months.

Mobil1Vtwin 20w50/ Harley filter.

Last edited:
If he's getting the bike up to temp each time, I would think 4 years would be reasonable.

What to really know? Pull a UOA and cut open a filter.

I do many 3 year O/FCIs on several pieces of equipment I have with more mile than your friend; UOAs and filter autopsy show no concerns whatsoever.

Last edited:
The question is if the glues and fibers can last. I go two years routinely without issue.

There is more than one Harley filter.

I am pretty sure that the USA made 5 micron filter for a big twin is wire backed synthetic media so that one should definitely be fine,

Do you know which filter he is using?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
The question is if the glues and fibers can last. I go two years routinely without issue.

I've run oil filters out to 3+ years and seen no degradation whatsoever.

More telling may be my experience with fuel fitlers. On my Kubota, I left a Wix filter on there for about 6 years (400 hours); it is a cartridge type in a translucent bowl. Admittedly, my fuel source is clean and I do treat the fuel to make sure bio-organisms and such are kept at bay. But the effect of diesel fuel (which is akin to lubes in terms of solubility and such) didn't alter the Wix fuel filter one little bit. After 6 years, when I took it out, it was firm yet pliable, had no voids, and had excellent adhesion of the caps to the cellulose/syn media. I thought about taking a pix and posting here, but it looked nearly perfect; you would not have known that long-duration filter from a new one soaked in diesel fuel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back