corrosion X

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just FYI the big can of corrosion X is exactly the same as the stuff in the firearm small cans per the MFG. Also the corrosion X marine was exactly the same with a green colored dye. Now it is all colored green and it is still the same formula and they no longer have one called Marine. We use it in an industrial plant on highly corrosive operating valves and instruments. This is great stuff and I use it on all my guns, boat trailers and motorcycles and it seems to stick around longer than rem-oil and thin lubes like that. Also I have used it to free some seriously stuck rusted bolts, just give it a soak and wait a little while and they come free. And no I'm not a corrosion X dealer, just a believer in the product and also in buying the big can instead of wasting money on the little one...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris B.
Just don't use it in Firearms in the cold because it will freeze solid. Very poor cold temp performance.

Sounds like you have Corrosion X confused for Froglube. One of the very first tests I conducted with corrosion x was to put a small open container of it my freezer and leave it for a few days. It did thicken up but it never froze. I also left a small bottle of corrosion X on the outside of my window sill in single digit weather with 20 mph steady winds for over 24 hours and it still never froze. Corrosion X original is supposed to be 93% hydrocarbon petroleum (think group 2 motor oil) so I don't see how that could ever freeze in any type of normal temperatures. I am pretty sure Corrosion X would never have passed it's testing by the military and given its mil spec approval if it was possible for it to freeze. Military planes need to fly at high altitudes and extremely low temperatures, there is no room for a spray in corrosion treatment like corrosion X to freeze.

http://www.corrosionx.com/mil-prf-81309f.html

I use Corrosion X by the case. We use it to lube flight critical components on aircraft, in addition to lap joints in sheet metal airframes. While it's not "thin" at extremely cold temperatures such as 70 below C, it does not freeze or gel up. It's an ideal lubricant for components that see moisture due to condensation. As it prevents the condensation from getting to the metal. It's quite effective at corrosion prevention.

Unless you are hunting in 40 below conditions with your semi automatic rifle, Corrosion X will work perfectly for your firearm. If you are operating in such cold conditions, consider a 0W-20 synthetic motor oil, or use a Nylon 66 without any lube.

Last edited:
I spray corrosion x on occasion from a manual pump sprayer. It doesnt atomize as well when at or below freezing, but it also doesnt solidify.

Unless they changed their formula, Corrosion X froze nearly solid over night at 17 degrees. This was 8 years ago when I tested several gun oils. I hunted in -50 in Wyoming this past year using Slip 2000 EWL and it flowed and worked just fine. Very impressive oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back