Another oil question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLY

I have a Toro Titan 5400 zero turn. Getting ready to change the hydrostat oil and filters for the first time. It calls for 20w50 engine oil. I am going to use synthetic and I'm wondering what would be the best brand to use for that application. Thanks in advance, Terry

I have always heard to stay away from synthetic oil for a hydro, but that may just be an old-wives tale. I would use VWB 20W-50

Some manufacturers specify a 5w50 synthetic here. You can probably use anything in between 5w50 to 20w50.

If shopping locally the best bargain is Mobil 1 15w50 if you can buy at Walmart.

Just curious does it specify an API gasoline spec as well as viscosity?

Alao depending on how thick of an HTHS you want Redline has plenty of 50 grade oils including 5w50, 15w50, and 20w50. The 5w50 would be great if you needed cold weather performance. The 20w50 is fine for pretty much anything above freezing even lower possibly.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=135&pcid=21

The Redline is more expensive than the Mobil 1, so I wouldn't go out of my way to pay extra for it unless you can't find Mobil 1 15w50.

I just did mine. I have a Gravely ZT XL with Hydro Gear ZT2800. You probably have a step up with the Hydro-Gear ZT3100. I put in Mobil 1 15w50, because that what I could get a good deal on. Loved to use the 5w50, but that is not near as available and therefore no bargains. I test drove my mower and it seemed no different.

Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like 15w50 would be just fine since I can't find 20w50 in a synthetic. Still wondering which would offer the best protection.

I never endorse M-1 products, but from being a member here for years, I have always heard positive results from folks using M-1 15-50 in their hydro units.
Another option is Valvoline Racing 20-50 it is a full synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back