Castrol Edge 5 qt jugs for $21.66 at Wally World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: teddyboy
That seems like a really good deal.

Yup, it is a good deal, although it's been at this price for about a year now.
smile.gif

The gold bottle Edge claims to be capable of 15K OCI's.
What kind of OCI would this black bottle Edge be capable of?

I have 9000 km and 9 months on Castrol black bottle so far. The Castrol hate on this forum is scaring me though and tempting me to change the oil early though.

Originally Posted By: pbm

Depends on which grade. The 0w-30 and 0w-40 grades carry multiple long life Euro mfg specs such as BMW LL-01 and MB 229.5, making them capable of fairly long intervals. They're up to something like 20K km in Europe, AFAIK. Many of them are on variable intervals based on OLM.

IMO it's a 10k oil like most top tier synthetics would be. The starting TBN on black bottle Edge is quite high as well.

Not as many Castrol fans here but haven't noticed much "hate". The Mobil 1 crush on the other hand is completely out of control.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
I have 9000 km and 9 months on Castrol black bottle so far. The Castrol hate on this forum is scaring me though and tempting me to change the oil early though.

I wouldn't worry about it. Castrol is a perfectly good oil, the hate is just because it's often priced higher than other quality oils like Pennzoil Platinum and Quaker State Ultimate Durability, but it doesn't show any reason to deserve the higher cost. Use it with confidence.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
IMO it's a 10k oil like most top tier synthetics would be. The starting TBN on black bottle Edge is quite high as well.

I just picked up a jug of this at WM for $21.66 to put in my Mom's Dodge GC. Are we thinking the starting TBN is on par with regular M1, PP, etc?

I picked up 4 5QT jugs of castrol edge 0w-20 in the past 4-6 week timeframe ($21.66) - at wal-mart to stock up. I also picked up 3 QSUD 0w-20 5QT jugs as part of the hoarding sessions as well (
It's almost automatic to get a 5QT jug each visit because of the price.

That title belongs to that MaxLife garbage.

The Mobil 1 crush on the other hand is completely out of control.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
That title belongs to that MaxLife garbage.

The Mobil 1 crush on the other hand is completely out of control.

How you managed to incorporate your hatred for Valvoline products into this thread, we'll never know.
32.gif

Not as many Castrol fans here but haven't noticed much "hate". The Mobil 1 crush on the other hand is completely out of control.
21.gif

I agree there seems to be a shadowed view of Castrol on here. When was the last time someone asked for a recommened oil for their vehicle and Castrol was on the top of the list? It always seems to be M1 or PP. Could marketing be playing in on all our minds? However, correct me if I am wrong but Castrol shows up strong on the year end tally of oils used from the "post your latest oil change thread". I am about to use it for the first time on our Subaru. No one seems to deny its capability compared to M1 or PP however, they rarely seem to recommend it as a first or second pick either.

I saw that price...but ended up buying QSUD instead anyway for basically the same price. I seem to read more good stuff about QSUD than Castrol Edge, but maybe that's not entirely correct. Who knows.

Heres a PQIA test of black bottle Edge. This is the black bottle SN just prior to the reformulation to the current offering, but it definitely shows that Castrol takes black bottle Edge seriously IMO with a TBN of 11. If anything the addition of Ti shows Castrol pushing black bottle Edge up further as it was previously only offered in Gold bottle, their highest tier product.

Edge PQIA

Castrol is not the king on BITOG but it seems to be extremely popular with the oil buying masses as it sure flies off the shelves around here. I have used a LOT of Castrol products over the years and have always been satisfied.

Heres a PQIA test of black bottle Edge. This is the black bottle SN just prior to the reformulation to the current offering, but it definitely shows that Castrol takes black bottle Edge seriously IMO with a TBN of 11. If anything the addition of Ti shows Castrol pushing black bottle Edge up further as it was previously only offered in Gold bottle, their highest tier product. Edge PQIA

Castrol is not the king on BITOG but it seems to be extremely popular with the oil buying masses as it sure flies off the shelves around here. I have used a LOT of Castrol products over the years and have always been satisfied.

Thanks KC. I have never been a huge fan of Castrol (no particular reason), but I have nothing against it either. I used Syntec gear oil in the front axle of my FX4 on the initial OC and it performed as well as anything else would have. At WM, QSUD was the same price as the Edge, but I thought I would give the Edge a try. Nice to see such a high TBN; I have been doing a 10K OCI (when possible) on the van with PP, so this should fit that OCI nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back