Honda F6B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certain camshaft manufacturers themselves say to not use low ZDDP oil with their products because they will run lobes off the cam or dish out lifters. Now these are flat tappet cams. ZDDP is like many things in life, it is good in moderation. Most oil makers and even places that sell ZDDP boosters for oil tell you to not overdose on it because it can be detrimental, but most statements say that is around the 2,000 PPM mark. Many race oils, especially automotive ones like the awesome Pennzoil GT 25w50 are loaded with it.

And in my honest opinion....longer wear protection IS better wear protection

Lots of interesting info so far...an update on my thinking. But first a visit to my owners manual p 140. (same for 2013 Goldwing or F6B) "Oil Recommendation, SG or higher except oils labeled as energy conserving or resource conserving on the API service label. Viscosity SAE 10W-30"

We had a good discussion on oils labeled energy conserving. Bottom line for me is it's not worth the risk of trying it.

Back to the owners manual, page 141. "Other viscosities shown in the following chart may be used when the average temp in your riding area is within the indicated range. The chart shows both 10W-30 and 10W-40 for the same temp range of about 15F to 110F. This tells me that Honda is not worried that a 10W-30 is "too thin" for 110F.

Last reference to the manual, page 141. "JASO T903 standard is.." and it goes on to describe it.

Thanks for staying with me on this long winded... So the "recommended" oil is a 10W-30 labeled SG or higher. Mobil 1 makes a SJ rated 10W-30 non energy conserving oil. It has no JASO label and the way the manual reads, I don't think that's a problem. Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back