Filter suggestion for a long-ish interval

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done a few oil changes on my cavalier with PYB and a store brand wix at 3k intervals. Oil comes out looking not too different than when I put it in. No leaks, doesn't burn anything, 160k on the clock.
I'm planning on throwing some M1 hm in there and running it for 7500 miles on my next fill. I'm not sure the $2 store brand wix would be up to the task. I'd use a pureone in a heartbeat but I read on here a while back about tearing issues plaguing puros so unless that's been taken care of I'm open to suggestions.
I know 7500 miles isn't really a long drain interval and my driving habits are going to change from 50/50 city/highway to about 95/5 city/highway as I switch to a new job site.
Could I continue to use the cheapo wix and just change the filter half way through the oci? There's enough room to accommodate a larger filter in there, the ac delco part number it calls for is pf47 but the pf52 fits as well and makes me feel better about using a nice even 5 qts instead of the spec'd 4.5

Napa Gold or Fram Ultra from Wally World should serve you well.

P1's are my favorite filters. If the tearing issue has been resolved, I'd love to go back to using them.

Fram ULTRA filter....and use it for two OC's (2 X 7500). Its guaranteed for 15K.

Unless your vehicle is leaking or burning oil, you don't need a HM oil. Just use regular M-1.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Napa Gold or Fram Ultra from Wally World should serve you well.

P1's are my favorite filters. If the tearing issue has been resolved, I'd love to go back to using them.

I've always done 3k intervals and puro classics were my go to. Cheap and decent filtration made them tough to beat.
Who makes Napa gold?

Originally Posted By: slowdime
I've always done 3k intervals and puro classics were my go to. Cheap and decent filtration made them tough to beat.
Who makes Napa gold?

Wix

For 7500 miles I'd use a Tough Guard, well that is what I would use for up to 10k. An Ultra is needless expense unless you are going to run it twice.

Napa Gold/Wix would be my runner up for that type of use.

Amsoil Ea filters are rated for 15K; and my test lab recommends going 7500 on a new oil change before sending in an initial sample. Of course, this is assuming your oil & filter are up to the task.

I'm NOT an Amsoil dealer; but I use their products. I do used oil analysis, and I'm coming up on 20K with the same oil & filters.

Of course, in all candor, I'm running a bypass filter rated at 98.7 efficient to 2 microns. My last UOA showed a 14/14/11 on ISO 4406 for particle count, with all wear metals normal.

My oil with almost 20K on it is cleaner than PYB straight from the store. My car has 195K on it and purrs like a kitten. No leaks, no burn. I have heard many folks complain about Amsoil prices; I've heard no credible evidence that their products do not PERFORM.

Alternatively, there is a "new" filter on the market; microgreen. They state that their filters will run 10K; change filters, add make-up oil; run another 10K, change filters again & add make-up oil, then run a final 10K and change your oil. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

Do whatever lets you sleep at night. Cheers.

Fram Ultra would be my first choice. A Wix/NAPA Gold filter would be my second choice.

Are the store brand filters just re-badged Wix filters? If it's the same as a regular Wix then it can go 7.5k without issue.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Fram Ultra would be my first choice. A Wix/NAPA Gold filter would be my second choice.

Are the store brand filters just re-badged Wix filters? If it's the same as a regular Wix then it can go 7.5k without issue.

I've avoided fram in the past, so the tg and ug varieties aren't considered ocod?

Not sure if the store brand I've been using is the same as a regular wix, I know it's made by them but I don't know if the store brand are made to be on par with something out of a wix box.
It's not a big deal, I won't lose sleep over the $4 difference between the store brand and the wix brand filters, I would however question whether the store brand was made to the same specs.

Napa Golds, yes. Other lower priced brands like Napa Silver and Pro Select, O'Reilly's Microgard and the like are Wix made but they are not anywhere near the same as the regular Wix/Napa Golds are. They are still fine, but not what you're looking for at the moment for your long-ish OCI as you put it.

I've avoided fram in the past, so the tg and ug varieties aren't considered ocod?

Not sure if the store brand I've been using is the same as a regular wix, I know it's made by them but I don't know if the store brand are made to be on par with something out of a wix box.
It's not a big deal, I won't lose sleep over the $4 difference between the store brand and the wix brand filters, I would however question whether the store brand was made to the same specs.

The UGS is about as far from the OCOD as it gets. I would say it is arguably one of the best filters on the market right now.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

Alternatively, there is a "new" filter on the market; microgreen. They state that their filters will run 10K; change filters, add make-up oil; run another 10K, change filters again & add make-up oil, then run a final 10K and change your oil. http://www.microgreenfilter.com/

WOW, this is either huge hype or a great product.
Thanks for mentioning this.

I would also use the TG for 7500 miles. They are slightly under $6 at WM. Very stout.

However, if you run it at 2 7500 mile intervals, the ultra does come out a bit cheaper. Comes out to around $4.50 an OCI. An oil change without changing the filter is very clean and quick too.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I would also use the TG for 7500 miles. They are slightly under $6 at WM. Very stout.

However, if you run it at 2 7500 mile intervals, the ultra does come out a bit cheaper. Comes out to around $4.50 an OCI. An oil change without changing the filter is very clean and quick too.

I'd be a little hesitant to leave a filter on for that long personally. Otoh it is appealing since the filter on the ohv cavalier is in a pretty stupid spot. Really the only way to remove it is to move the ecu out of the way, and it's almost impossible to NOT get oil on the exhaust... so it smells like burning oil for a few days. Maybe I'll lay something over the pipe to prevent that next time.

The Fram Ultra Guard is an excellent filter, and might be the best filter that's readily available at all locations.

Remember, the whole OCOD thing was more hyperbole. It's not that they were bad for your engine, it's that you were usually able to get better filters for the same price.

If you are still skeptical of the Pureones for that mileage, try the Puro Synthetic filters. They seem to be rock solid, and are designed for 10k mile intervals.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
An oil change without changing the filter is very clean and quick too.

Except for the dirty oil you leave in the system. Like taking a shower and putting dirty underwear back on.
laugh.gif

Now you're gonna wake up BOF.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back