What does an overheating diesel do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: supton
Well, I got the alarm for low coolant, but I have no idea if there is an alarm for temp too high. Probably has one, has an alarm for worn brake pads and washer fluid too low, might as well have temp too high.
Wow, I didn't know the car could know about the brake pads. I also didn't know about the washer fluid, but mine hasn't held washer fluid in years as there's a leak somewhere but I don't get a light. Maybe the dealer unplugged something. I think the temperature light blinks if it's low on coolant but stays solid if its overheating (possibly those two backwards)

Beetles were different, different gauges etc, so I'm not up to speed on those. Brake pads, the sensor can be turned off via VCDS; I'm told that if I twist the wires together (so as to short 'em) that too will turn off the alarm. [I tore the wires off my brand new pads by accident, oops.]

Funny you ask this question!

I did this to the now gone 04 Wagon.

Lower rad hose coupler decided it didn't like being connected anymore. I thought it was leaking from the radiator before it finally popped off. It only leaked when cold too.

Drove a good ways on the highway with the temp gauge climbing, stopped into a gas station for water. it didn't do the sizzle & crack I've heard gasoline engines do. I believe being slightly cool outside and having good oil helped.

Right as I pulled onto my street and I parked and idled it. I heard lopey idle like it might die. I figured as you suggested the fuel might be cooking in the head. I shut it off and let it cool. Started right back up after I did that and replaced the coupler. Like nothing ever happened.
golfbora20psiboost-4.jpg

I was at halfway between 190F & 260F for what it is worth at the most. It also flashed right away when the coolant was low on a cold start. I don't remember if it did when close to overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back