Oil for Audi A4 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car in question is a 2004 with 117,000 on the OD. I believe it needs an oil meeting the VW 503 01 spec (such as M1 0w40) at 10k OCIs. The many VW specs also confuse me.. not sure if anything supersedes anything else. Anyways, I read a 30 or 40 weight can be used, but a 40 weight is preferred. The car will be short tripped daily, which has me questioning which weight would be more ideal. It will occasionally see a 100 mile highway run on the weekends though.

Thanks BITOG.

Last edited:
You want an oil meeting the VW 502.00 spec. Several good choices available at local stores: Castrol Edge 0w-30 and 0w-40, M1 0w-40, just to name a few.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
You want an oil meeting the VW 502.00 spec.

Thank you for the clarification. I dont have the OM to refer to yet.
frown.gif

I dont see how you could go wrong with the M1 or Castrol 0w-40. Were using both in various cars and they are great oils.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I dont have the OM to refer to yet.
frown.gif

In all honesty, the OM of that vintage isn't very useful when it comes to the correct oil. Majority of the time it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Hello, I "worked" on one of those cars recently except it was a 2002 not a 2004.

The 3.0 takes 6.3 (quarts or liters, I forget now) of oil. The husband kept adding oil.
"I keep adding oil and it still smokes" was the quote.
I swear I drained 11.5 quarts of oil out of that car. You should've seen it smoke.

I used Castrol 0W-30.
The odd thing was that an oil cooler was added at the oil filter's mounting point so the filter only grabs a few threads. I was shocked and gravely disappointed with Audi.

Shoehorning a V-6 into an A4 is "jack asinine" in the first place.
SACBP (Stupid American Car Buying Public). Kira

Mobil 1 0w40 all day every day. Ran it in my Audi A6 2.8. If it uses any oil be sure to check the pcv valve and channels. They are notoriously fragile.

Originally Posted By: Kira

Then don't look at the rs4 or s4 with the V8. I had an A4 3.0 and yes it drank oil too in its later years. Pretty much started checking the oil every month to be safe. Changing a belt, the groaning power steering pump or even the timing belt was a major chore on that car.

Mobil 1 0w40, Castrol 0w40 or Rotella T6, I have a 2.8 in a 99 and run any of the 3 oils whatevers on sale.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Mobil 1 0w40 all day every day. Ran it in my Audi A6 2.8. If it uses any oil be sure to check the pcv valve and channels. They are notoriously fragile.

I read the 2.8s PCV is a bit different than the 3.0s.

This order:
1. M1 0W40 (Wal mart)
2. Castrol 0W40 (Wal-Mart)
3. PU 5W40 (Auto Zone)

Not sure about present BC 0W30, but considering mileage stick to 40.

What about shoehorning a 4.2L V8 in the S4?

back to the topic at hand.
My votes are:
Shell Rotella T6
Chevron Delo 400LE 5w30
which ever is cheaper and available at Wal-Mart when you visit them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shinyWheels

Then don't look at the rs4 or s4 with the V8. I had an A4 3.0 and yes it drank oil too in its later years. Pretty much started checking the oil every month to be safe. Changing a belt, the groaning power steering pump or even the timing belt was a major chore on that car.

Hahahaha... guilty. I have the 2007 s4 though...
ag_07s4_engine2.jpg

Comapred to a 2007 a4...
40480830.jpg

But the 2007 s6 is really not THAT much bigger and that has a 5.2L v10... that should really make your head explode
69674100.jpg

Quattro Pete, you weren't kidding when you said the OM was a bit vague.

It looks like a 502 oil is only needed for the 1.8T?

But it also says how it needs an ACEA A2 (obsolete)/ A3 API SJ and that 0w30 was the factory fill. It also says that if 0w30 isn't available, a 5w30 or a 5w40 can be used.

*Does this thread appear to be titled "I gotta share this:" for anyone else?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Quattro Pete, you weren't kidding when you said the OM was a bit vague.

It looks like a 502 oil is only needed for the 1.8T?

But it also says how it needs an ACEA A2 (obsolete)/ A3 API SJ and that 0w30 was the factory fill. It also says that if 0w30 isn't available, a 5w30 or a 5w40 can be used.

*Does this thread appear to be titled "I gotta share this:" for anyone else?

VW 503.01 is old spec, that is today replaced with VW502.00. VW 502.00 is proper spec for that car, and was and is used in many engines including old 1.8T.
If you buy Mobil1 0W40 you will see wording: meets VW503.01, that is just to clarify stuff for drivers where that application was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back