Need New Tires - Primacy MXM4 vs. Premier A/S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks,

I am due for a new set of tires on my Prius – the size is 215/45-17.

Based on the research I have done, I have narrowed my choices to either:

1) Michelin Premier A/S (V-Rated) – 60,000 mile treadwear warranty, $585 installed.

2) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (W-Rated) – 45,000 mile treadwear warranty, $599 installed.

My current set of tires is the Michelin Primacy MXM4 (V-Rated). These are OE fitments for a CT200h, and the tires came with the set of wheels that I bought. The tires are down to 3/32” after only 32,000 miles (and they have also been quite noisy) so I definitely will not be purchasing the OE version again.

For my driving conditions, I value steering response, wet traction and rolling resistance. Treadlife is certainly a consideration, but since I will have the treadwear warranty to work with, I am not super concerned.

From the reading I have done, the Premier A/S appear to be phenomenal in the wet, but are so-so in the dry. I have been extremely happy with the wet/dry traction on my current set of Primacy MXM4s, but would prefer something quieter.

What would you guys do?

Of the two choices, I'd go with the Premier A/S all-around tire that does most things well. The higher W-rated MXM4 is better for spirited driving in fair weather conditions.

I'd stick with the MXM4's....that's all I've ever used on the CRV's....wife loves them as they are so quite. In general, Mich's usually give me way more treadwear than the warranty, but almost 80% of the drive is straight....I mean, I don't really rotate the tires until around 10-12K miles. I currently have Yoko's on my 06 Accord, and they are NOISY...will be switching back to Mich's when I get these wore down some. But, that's also a good price, don't know if Tire Rack and beat that.

I put the Premiers on my son's X3. Initial impressions with respect to NVH, ride, and handling have been very positive.

I hated the MXM4s too. You should look into Yokohama tires. My experience has been that they give the best tread wear and road noise supression which seems to be your two biggest concerns. Have you ever tried the Contis Extreme DWS? I've had them and they were amazingly quiet and great in the dry and rainy weather. I believe Tirerack has it for $119. If choosing Michelin I'd go with the Pilot sport A/S 3 but they are expensive.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
I'd stick with the MXM4's....that's all I've ever used on the CRV's....wife loves them as they are so quite.

Weve been really pleased with the MXM4s on my wife's rabbit.

Hopefully OP can find a size that isnt W rated... I suspect that is a higher rating than OE.

I put a set of the Premier A/S in size 225/55-17 on my car about four months ago, and am waiting to drive in a little more snow and ice before I write a full review on here. However, since your asking I'll give a quick break down.

For basic driving, they're fine. Good handling and steering response, good grip, etc. Wet traction and braking are also good.

The tires are also smooth and quiet on flat surfaces. However, if you're driving on grooved surfaces, there's a very loud and distinct whine/whirling sound you hear. I didn't notice it at first, it just sounded different when the road surface would change. But then one day I was in stop and go traffic on the highway that was a long stretch of grooved roadway, and I would hear the whine/whirl spin up and down based on my speed. It's like when your'e on a plane and then jet engines whirl up. Obviously not as loud, but once you know what to listen for you distinctly hear it getting louder and higher pitched as you speed up.

That's not the worst thing though. I don't care what they say, the tires are not, I repeat for emphasis *NOT* low rolling resistance. From the first time I drove the car after putting the tires on, I immediately noticed how much slower the vehicle feels. More gas is needed to get it moving, it takes more time to get up to speed, and as a result my MPG is down considerably. I drive over 15,000 miles a year, and these tires will probably cost me an extra $200 +/- a year in gas alone. Considering I paid over $100 more to get these tires versus the other tire I was considering (Continental PureContact), that just adds insult to injury.

I will say that the little bit I've driving in snow and ice has been good. Traction was solid, but the most I drove through was about 3 inches of snow, which is why I'm waiting till the end of winter before writing a more extensive review of them.

Overall the handling is fine, but the loss of power and MPG makes me wish I had put the Continental PureContact tires on my car. Seriously, it's been four months and I still notice the lack of power. I've gotten more use to it at lower speeds even though I still notice it, but when I really feed it some gas so I can get it moving such as when trying to merge onto the highway, I'm reminded of how slow these tires are and the disappointed feeling is just as painful as the first time I drove them.

I'd give the aftermarket versions of the Primacy MXM4 a try. I've heard nothing but good things about them when installed aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1
Interesting report on the Premier. I am surprised they are noisy.

So I really need to stress that it's only noticeable on roads with horizontal grooves. Around here I only really come across it when going over concrete bridges. The rest of the time they are smooth and quiet.

Originally Posted By: sicko

So I really need to stress that it's only noticeable on roads with horizontal grooves. Around here I only really come across it when going over concrete bridges. The rest of the time they are smooth and quiet.

Ok cool, what do you think of the tread depth of 8.5/32nd new? that bugs me for some reason.
When I go to the Michelin site and punch in my info all I get is the Premier and the snow tire.

Ok cool, what do you think of the tread depth of 8.5/32nd new? that bugs me for some reason.
When I go to the Michelin site and punch in my info all I get is the Premier and the snow tire.

The tires have a decent mileage warranty, and supposedly the tread should wear down slower to last just as long as other tires. I also was a bit hesitant when I bought them b/c of the tread depth, but I figured worse case they'll last me a year less than the other tires would and I was okay with that.

The tread depth hasn't hindered their performance for me at all, but they're still new. But supposedly they're supposed to last just as long as other tires.

Thanks guys. I decided to go with the Premier A/S.

The tires were installed earlier today. I will post up my thoughts after I have some miles on them.

We have several roads with the grooved surfaces close by, and I can't think of any vehicle I've driven on them that haven't exhibited a LOT of road noise.

a couple things I'd like to comment on.

There is at least 3-4 different tires with MXM4 in the name. I think some of you are confusing your oem tires to the aftermarket tires the OP mentioned.

Pilot HX MXM4, Primacy MXM4, Pilot MXM4,

and of course there are some OEM versions that have the name, but not the attributes of the aftermarket fitment versions.

Since you are in California do you ever see snow? If not I'd probably go with the more 3 season oriented primacy MXM4.

If you see snow the premier A/S apparently do quite well for an all-season.

I'm kind of surprised you didn't throw in the Energy Saver, or other very low RR tires being you have a prius.

I have Michelin Primacy MXV4 on my Sonata. They now have 33,000 miles on them and have 6/32's tread depth remaining. They are wearing well. The tires are horrible in the rain, iffy in snow, but are pretty quiet. I would not buy them again as I believe there are similar or even better performing tires for less money.

Update:

16,000 miles on these tires.

7/32" remaining on all 4 -- and I have only done two rotations at 7,500 mile intervals.

They ride much better than my previous set of Primacy MXM4, have slightly better fuel economy, are better in the wet and are a bit quieter.

The downside is that the Premier A/S lacks the crisp handling that the Primacy MXM4s delivered.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Update:

16,000 miles on these tires.

7/32" remaining on all 4 -- and I have only done two rotations at 7,500 mile intervals.

They ride much better than my previous set of Primacy MXM4, have slightly better fuel economy, are better in the wet and are a bit quieter.

The downside is that the Premier A/S lacks the crisp handling that the Primacy MXM4s delivered.

They are virtually exclusive, better ride and noise and fuel economy would lower performance/handling.

There are some top of the line tires such as Micheline Pilot Super Sport that are better than competitors of the same class in most, if not all categories. But it still not performs best in every category possible.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

WHAT? That's awful! Especially since the Premier only comes with 8.5/32 to start with, and lesser treads usually have better handling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back