Being a parts or service advisor at a dealership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Semi-local dealership is hiring. I'm still unemployed. What's the worst that could happen?

Anybody done either of these jobs and have any insights on the application, the job, or general things related there to?

You had beter be good at selling "flushes" and "treatments". Dealers often hire good looking women to charm the uninformed guys out of their dough. The last thing the bottom line needs is an honest advisor

The worst that can happen is you might hate the job and have to look for another! Go for it!

Parts is great, just basic warehouse type setting, with great parts databases to do all your work for you, occasional walk in customers, occasional indie shop calls throughout the day. Not the nightmare multi-brand databases like Napa or Autozone. You'll mostly be billing and handing out parts to the dealership's mechanics.

Service adviser is a salesman with a goofy title. You will be selling necessary and unnecessary services to the public. Dealing with angry and irate customers who had faulty work done on their car or want a free ride through life. Selling wallet flushes to boost revenue. Trying to convince irrational people that spending $250 for tie rods and an alignment will save them hundreds in tires and gasoline in the future.

Your experience will vary by individual dealer and what their focus is.

You have to deal with a lot of idiot customers in either role, but it's usually much worse as a service adviser. On average your customers will be dumber than the ones in parts, and you will have to be more sales-y.

The parts department I work in is really wholesale focused, so retail customers and even the shop counter are kind of secondary. I like it, but I do have to deal with at least a couple people a day who have no business trying to get parts for a car.

Hiring processes at dealers tend to be more relaxed than big nationwide companies, but things are more based on who you know. IE, if the general manager's brother's cousin's sister's uncle is looking for the same job, that will be a barrier for you. Expect to do all the usual employment screenings...drug, criminal background, credit, MVR.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Service adviser is a salesman with a goofy title. You will be selling necessary and unnecessary services to the public. Dealing with angry and irate customers who had faulty work done on their car or want a free ride through life. Selling wallet flushes to boost revenue. Trying to convince irrational people that spending $250 for tie rods and an alignment will save them hundreds in tires and gasoline in the future.

LMAO, I hate car service advisers anywhere, usually dishonest and selling wallet flushes like cardenio said and generally are clueless about car maintenance.

Rather varied. Unemployed due to a move, job market here is not as good as I hoped when we moved back.

Hospital chaplain at a Level One pediatric trauma center.
Apartment maintenance worker.
24/7 suicide hotline worker.
Psych tech/patient transport for an inpatient psychiatric hospital.
Retail worker in the mall.

Youll be that guy telling the college girl her car's brakes wont make it passed the weekend.

I say go for it only because anything is better than being unemployed.. The job sounds interesting, but I would be a terrible salesman. If I truly did feel something was necessary, I wouldn't have an issue. The constant up selling of unnecessary services done on a daily basis is something I would struggle with though.

As 01RangerXL stated "Your experience will vary by individual dealer and what their focus is."

I worked as a service writer for a GM dealership (GMC Buick Pontiac Isuzu) for a whole two days. Worst two days of my life.

A few years later I took a job as a service writer for a Honda dealership. And I learned a lot .I stayed for almost two years. It's not the easiest job in the world and you have to have thick skin at times. Only reason I left was I was offered a job that wasn't in the car business.

Hello, I got to agree with "Go for it". The worst is that you leave.

I worked in the most dishonest dealership on the planet, in parts.
We hustled timely part deliveries and strove to order our supply on the company's automated system to save a percentage.
I never got too near that process as I was the driver.

I could hear the customers screaming at the service writers constantly.

An honest dealership would've changed everything. Kira

Originally Posted By: Hollow

Having people skills, which it appears you probably do, will be a plus. Especially as a service adviser. Much of your day will involve telling people things they do not want to hear.

If the dealer pushes a lot of unnecessary upselling, that may be too stressful day in and day out. Some people can "sell ice to an Eskimo," but if you don't have that kind of personality, you may find it very hard to sell like they want you to. Not all dealers are pushy upsellers though. If they call you in for an interview, you'll probably get an idea then of what kind of dealer they are. If you sense sliminess during the interview, you know what to expect if they offer you a job.

You'll typically run into less of this in parts. In a parts department that has a booming wholesale business though, expect things to be very fast paced at times.

Both jobs usually require some experience. If you have a conscience about unnecessary upselling to the public at the behest of your service manager, then you likely won't like the advisor's job.

Then again, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

What line dealership is it? If it is Ford or Mazda I can help you out to try to get you up to speed. Ford can be a big learning curve and you will be slow until you learn the base part numbers.

The hiring process is different at every dealer, but it is mostly about who you know or are related to. I had worked at the dealer I am presently at around 12 years ago as an apprentice while I was in school. I went to the local CC and took their automotive program, one of the best in the country actually. I then had a student job working at a smog referee, and then worked at the Sears Auto Center here for 2 years, as both a CSA (service writer) and then as an alignment / brake technician. One day one of the techs drove by and said that there was an opening in parts and he told the Service Director about me. I went in the next day and was hired on the spot.

If you do get the job in parts, make sure to always always always get the VIN and take down as many notes as possible. I have a certain system when writing my invoices with the whole VIN, year, chassis code, make, model, who I talked to, and any specific info about the vehicle we discussed. Also the people that call in with part numbers get "Customer supplied part number, no returns" on their invoices since those tend to be wrong a lot.

Any help let me know.

Another vote for "go for it!" I believe it's easier to find a job when you have a job. Grab this job and if you don't like it, hang on to it long enough to find something else.

Every job is what you make it.

Yep, take it. 1) It gets you employed and 2) You can gain experience at something. You never know when you can use that for another job.

Service Advisors are sales people and not much more. Sell the flushes, oil changes, and filter changes and you'll do well. You really don't need to know much about cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

If you do get the job in parts, make sure to always always always get the VIN and take down as many notes as possible. I have a certain system when writing my invoices with the whole VIN, year, chassis code, make, model, who I talked to, and any specific info about the vehicle we discussed. Also the people that call in with part numbers get "Customer supplied part number, no returns" on their invoices since those tend to be wrong a lot.

X2. The manufacturer catalogs pull up the exact parts for the car by the VIN and generally will give a build sheet for the car if it isn't too old. Get all the info you can.

Retail customers will sometimes balk at you asking for a VIN. If a return is going to be a big deal for you, demand the VIN. The catalog tells you what came on the car, not what you need to put a 1994 Camaro V8 in a 1991 S-10.

There is a good video on You Tube that shows some of the frustration you might run into as a parts counterman. I can't post it here due to some language at the end, but search for life as a car dealership parts counter man on You Tube.

I don't get people freaking out about giving a parts person the VIN, I ask for it so I can get you the right part. You would be amazed how many times people call or come in and say something like "I have a 1995 F150" and when I finally get the VIN it turns out they have a 2006 F250.

I absolutely hate when people say "they are all the same" when I ask a question trying to find them the right part. I have had customers say that about axle seals, so I just walk to the parts bin and grab one for a Dana 80 when they are asking for one on a F150. The one time I did that, I threw it on the counter in front of the customer and said "here they are all the same right", I got called into the principal's office for that, but it was worth it.

Also working at a dealer, you will get people complaining for things that make no sesne. I had a customer who walked in and asked for a t-stat and gasket on a newer Crown Vic. I turned around and grabbed the 7L3Z-8575-D and a F1VY-8255-A and had the invoice ready in under a minute. They complained to my manager that I didn't "engage them in small talk while processing their request." Seriously, I had to explain myself for that. Anyone who knows me, knows I do not make small talk.

I mostly do back counter, and then wholesale. Rarely do I do front counter/retail for reasons in the previous paragraphs. You will also get tired of AutoZone and O'Reilly's having their people call and say "I have a customer here looking for a part, if I give you a VIN can you give me a part number so I can find it in my computer" they get a basic number and that is all, no help past that. You will also get the people coming in saying "I need the part number for XX, I found ones cheaper online but they need the part number" they get the basic number also with no prefix or suffix.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

Also working at a dealer, you will get people complaining for things that make no sesne. I had a customer who walked in and asked for a t-stat and gasket on a newer Crown Vic. I turned around and grabbed the 7L3Z-8575-D and a F1VY-8255-A and had the invoice ready in under a minute. They complained to my manager that I didn't "engage them in small talk while processing their request." Seriously, I had to explain myself for that. Anyone who knows me, knows I do not make small talk.

It drives me nuts when customers expect me to be a therapist, mind reader, or walking factory service manual.

GM sends out a magazine to parts and service people. The current issue has a short article about "Why Customers Leave." One bullet point says "they believe you have stopped caring about their business." That is wrong. The times I have done everything short of tell a customer "I don't care about your business," they come back...again, and again, and again.

Not 45 minutes ago I had a Kia customer come in for a battery terminal. No VIN, doesn't have the car with him. He tells me he has a Kia Elantra. I told him that the Elantra is a Hyundai and started naming Kia models to jog his memory of [censored] he was working on. Then he asks me, "so, it's a Spectra right?" I said, "I don't know sir, I need you to tell me." He then wanted me to get him a terminal from another location for a 2001 Spectra so he could look at it. I told him it would be a couple hours before I'd have the terminal here, at which point he stormed out. Here's a clue...if you don't know what you are working on, you probably shouldn't be working on it.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Rather varied. Unemployed due to a move, job market here is not as good as I hoped when we moved back.

Let's see... Psych, trauma, retail customer service, chaplain. I think you're well qualified to work the parts counter.
smile.gif

Parts is the ticket. Selling stuff in the service tunnel sux more than you know. Hands down, the worst job I ever had. THey made us wear a shirt and tie and dress pants/shoes in the service tunnel. Just awful. Worked 55 hours a week for a flat $400/wk salary and then once a month we got a commission check that we had no way of calculating so it was basically whatever they felt like paying you. As low as $500 and I never saw one over $850. So $2100 a month for 220 hours worked=less than $10/hr for what they will constantly tell you "is the hardest job at the dealership". Pass. Pass. Pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back