Most miles in a day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up driving 909 miles in 1999 Odyssey (215K miles) yesterday with about half an hour of break at 455 miles to unload my son at his dorm. To be home before the beginning of the once in a century blizzard, I turned around and drove straight back home. Although I feel OK, I don't think I will do it again.

Any tale of solo driving insane miles in a single day?

multiple times, between here and Dallas. many times on both ends of the vacation.
just a straight shot, only stopping to feed me, feed the car, and pee. (hopefully all 3 in one stop)
usually in the 18-21 hr range.
Fall of 2013 I drove home straight through, and when i got home @ 2am, put the car up on ramps, and started the drain phase of the oil change. then went to bed. Finished the oc after i woke up that afternoon. (had a good 8-10 hr drain)

made that trip about 5 times in my 05 Neon, once so far in my Sable. both very comfy seats. but the adjustable lumbar and heat option in the sable is just magic on a long trip.

Last edited:
That's a long drive. Two Octobers ago, I drove 789 miles from my home in Fayetteville, NC, to my grandparents' house in Paragould, AR. I did that on a Thursday, helped my folks make some estate arrangements there (my grandfather was in the process of passing), and drove 789 miles back home on Sunday. That was a long trip. I did it in our Honda CR-V. I learned that the CR-V's seats are impressively supportive for driving 800 miles in a day. I had the cruise set on about 78 mph for most of the way and just let it run.

Tennessee is a long state.

780miles. Danbury CT to wherever it is that my parents live in KY. I missed doing it in 11hr going down, as I missed at turn in NY and wound up going north on I87, so it wsa close to 12hr. But coming back I did it in 11hr.

Did a repeat on that trip twice with family, each time doing it in 11hrs. Except going down once, got stuck in a snowstorm and sat still for 3hr--got a hotel that night, I was done after 13hr in the seat.

I'm sure most any trucker will have me beat.

I topped out at about 860mi in a day when I was in college and made a trip to school and back home. I honestly can't remember why I did it...

Did similar distance Denver-Minneapolis many times years ago before the 55 mph days-usually about 12 hours as much could be run at 90mph='65 Pontiac GP 421 and 2.73 gears

923 miles in my '54 Chevy ... just west of Chicago to Central NJ .
The last fifty miles were a struggle as the plugs were burnt to toast and I had just enough power to pull into my driveway . New plugs and all ready to go the next day .
This was in the '60s .

I regularly do a 800 mile trip to Chicago, I still feel fresh when I arrive there thanks to my RX.

The most I've ever done was about 1000 miles, down to Albany, Georgia. That was in my Grand Caravan, boy was that a long ride.

1060 miles in the Camaro starting at 10am, ending at 2:30am.

850 miles of towing with the Dodge Ram going from ~8am to 1am.

The 1060 miles in the Camaro was much easier.

Our son was moving from Toronto to Windsor Ontario (~230 miles).
Drove from Windsor to Toronto, loaded pick-up and drove to Windsor
unloaded pick-up
Drove from Windsor to Toronto (again) loaded pick-up and returned to Windsor.
Unloaded pick-up and drove home.

I was told I did a couple of long hauls (Det-S.F.) in the '60s but I don't remember them.
beer3.gif
21.gif

About 1000 miles is my record. From Winnipeg to a rest stop somewhere between Chicago and Detroit. This was in my 81 Olds Omega when I was 24. After a few hours sleep, I went another 400 miles home! The seat was quite nice in that car and it got decent mileage too.
We have also done a couple other continental crossings in short time frames, but that's with two of us driving.

900 miles several times in different vehicles from Charlotte, NC to Lake Charles, LA. Last time was in my truck back in 2010. Will probably do it again in my Focus later this year.

1182 miles, non stop with the wife and 9 year old daughter in the '10 CRV in about 18 hours. Went from my house in Oklahoma to Hilton Head, S.C. Will NEVER do that again....about got me divorced!!! LOL. I bet I drank about a 12 pack of 5 hour energy drink.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I ended up driving 909 miles in 1999 Odyssey (215K miles) yesterday with about half an hour of break at 455 miles to unload my son at his dorm. To be home before the beginning of the once in a century blizzard, I turned around and drove straight back home. Although I feel OK, I don't think I will do it again.

Any tale of solo driving insane miles in a single day?

I've driven from the Toronto area to Lunenberg, NS in one day for my sister's wedding. It is ~1,800Km, so 1,120 miles. We did that in the Expedition, which is nice for long drives. IIRC, it was about 17 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back