Most "powerful" .40s&w FMJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sure that price is a factor. FMJ is cheaper than JHP ammo of the same quality.

There is always the expanding full metal jacket rounds from federal as an option.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Originally Posted By: EdwardC
I think someone else mentioned it, but a decent compromise would be the WWB JHPs. They're not exactly high tech new hollow points that expand perfectly, but should be much better than any FMJ in a SD role.

Inexpensive enough to use at the range more than occasionally too. $23 for 50 at Cabelas right now.

Or just skip the low grade Winchester white box JHP and get the best self defense hollow point on the market for a similar price.

http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50...-brass-case-amm
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50...nt-ammo-p40hst1
http://www.sgammo.com/product/federal/50...nt-ammo-p40hst3

+1 ... I bought Federal HST after researching and watching ballistic tests on YouTube. Very impressive round.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I appreciate the concern over fmj vs jhp for defensive loads but clearly you did not read my post. My goal is simply to use target ammo- for the range time- that would also best work "in a pinch" as defensive loads if TSHTF ( and maybe would double well as woods loads).

So far the speer lawman looks best. Doubletap makes some nice options but they are comparable in.price to the pdx1 loads I use defensively.

Read and re-read.

Unfortunately, you're asking for your cake and to eat it, too.

My first point : major manufacturers do not load "hot" target fmj loads. It is non-economical, most people don't care, and they'd have to raise prices for more powder used per box. Thus, they would sit there and not sell.

My second point : you should take up reloading - but only if you are responsible and have acute attention to detail. It's fun but responsible fun. You can load hot target loads that double as a sledgehammer on any day that ends in 'y'.

My third point : if you do not want to take up reloading, you are stuck with JHP defense rounds. Obviously this can get very expensive so see point #2.

There are no such thing as "hot" target rounds. It doesn't make sense and read point #1 again.

Cake and eating it too. That's all there is to it.

Well put, Zerosoma! Wasn't there an old proverb about this? Buy a box of ammo and you shoot for a day; reload and you shoot what you want, how much you want, when you want. I'm riffing on "give a man a fish and you feed him for today, teach him to fish..."

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The problem with a hot 40S&W is that even though it has more power, that most of it is going to be wasted because of over penetration. It will not dump that energy into the target because it will continue to keep on going after it leaves the target. It would really only be of help on something like a black bear, but even then, 40 S&W is a pretty iffy choice to use. That is more 44 mag territory.
Energy dump is B.S. pistol bullets just don't do enough damage.

Originally Posted By: CT8
[/quote]Energy dump is B.S. pistol bullets just don't do enough damage.

You just have to hit them in the head or heart.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Robenstein
The problem with a hot 40S&W is that even though it has more power, that most of it is going to be wasted because of over penetration. It will not dump that energy into the target because it will continue to keep on going after it leaves the target. It would really only be of help on something like a black bear, but even then, 40 S&W is a pretty iffy choice to use. That is more 44 mag territory.
Energy dump is B.S. pistol bullets just don't do enough damage.

Energy dump is not bull excrement. It has some merit,....but it depends on the round. For instance comparing a 22lr to a 357 SIG makes no sense. But if you can balance bullet size and mass, penetration, and velocity so that it does not blow through your target, it certainly helps. Ballistics in terms of lethality is a balancing act. I want a round that hits hard, creates a massive temporary cavity, and meets the FBI minimum specs but wont over penetrate. I do not want something like a Glaser safety slug that dumps it all in the first 4 inches.

Last edited:
Winchester Ranger 180 gr LE Ammo shoots and functions well in my .40.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back