Top fuel dragster oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I was reading that top fuel dragsters used 70 weight motor oil I'm not sure if this is still the practice but I was wondering why so heavy of an oil? Is it that the tolerance on these high HP engines are loose and require such a heavy oil or do they have real high fuel dilution and require it?

Redline state n the Literature for their 70w drag oil that it is primarily for the extreme fuel dilution of the nitromethane cars it was designed for

Going the other way their 2wt Is only for extremely tight bearing clearances and must not exceed 150f

"All 12 quarts of engine oil are changed after warming the engine due to fuel dilution that turns the oil a sickly mustard color."

MY TFD oil is a 30W60 GroupII, IV, V base oil mix.

The NM turns the oil into a yellow-green mush.

Last edited:
70 weight is still the norm. It's mostly a Fuel dilution issue.

The 8000 hp figure is way out of date, as are quite a few of the 'specs' listed in that "Hotrod" link.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
Years ago I was reading that top fuel dragsters used 70 weight motor oil I'm not sure if this is still the practice but I was wondering why so heavy of an oil? Is it that the tolerance on these high HP engines are loose and require such a heavy oil or do they have real high fuel dilution and require it?

Easier starts in the winter.....
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pontual
Whut? I thought they're using a 0w5 oil. Is from that oil they got the name, drag?

That would be more like a NASCAR qualifying oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Starts out a 70, but dilutes to 40? Does anybody have a datapoint on that?

Yes, quite a bit of data. But none that I can share on the Web.

I will say that Redline Nitro 70 resists fuel dilution better than any other oil I've seen to date.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
"All 12 quarts of engine oil are changed after warming the engine due to fuel dilution that turns the oil a sickly mustard color."

MY TFD oil is a 30W60 GroupII, IV, V base oil mix.

The NM turns the oil into a yellow-green mush.

What you use as a VII, Molakule? Neoprene since it's a short lived oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Whut? I thought they're using a 0w5 oil. Is from that oil they got the name, drag?

Yes, I heard that, but that's more like it for short periods, like 1/4 mile. I'd use a greater pan, with a lighter oil to race. Now, 70 weight oil is robbing about what? 200 hps or more, since the supercharger takes 750 hp just to blow the induction, half of that they could take oil from the oil drag?

Yes, I heard that, but that's more like it for short periods, like 1/4 mile. I'd use a greater pan, with a lighter oil to race. Now, 70 weight oil is robbing about what? 200 hps or more, since the supercharger takes 750 hp just to blow the induction, half of that they could take oil from the oil drag?

How much hp it takes to drive the supercharger, depends on several factors. But it takes far more hp than that at peak power, to drive a standard-helix 14-71 Supercharger, on a current spec. NHRA TF/D

Last edited:

They already have way more power than they could ever use, even with a perfect clutch set up, and perfect track conditions/traction, but if they dilute out the oil too much by the 330' mark, they will NOT finish the run.
31.gif

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Starts out a 70, but dilutes to 40? Does anybody have a datapoint on that?

Yes, quite a bit of data. But none that I can share on the Web.

I will say that Redline Nitro 70 resists fuel dilution better than any other oil I've seen to date.

This is a well known issue that would likely reveal some proprietary info in any discussion. I understand.

Very few here can even begin to understand what is going on in these engines at this level of power...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back