PP 5w30, 8,588km, 2013 F150 EB, 41,274km

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

Here is the most recent UOA for my '13 F150 ecoboost. The truck now has 41,274km on it. I have completed a UOA for every oil change since it was new. I refilled it with PP 5w30 again. I think I have enough PP left for one more oil change, then I am switching to M1 for a while to compare the results. I have a few possible explanations for the higher iron content this time:

-Changed air filter at beginning of OCI
-Extremely cold weather for part of this OCI (-40's) which led to lots of idling and cold starts.

I was planning to run this OCI to 10,000km but I changed it early due to all the idling from the cold weather. Past OCI's were at 100-110 engine hours. This OCI was at about 145 engine hours.

Thoughts/comments?

13%20F150-010615_zpsr8x8zuab.jpg

Also, forgot to mention that I have used motorcraft filters every time, and will continue to do so for the life of the vehicle - I bought 2 cases of them on ebay for cheap.

The more and more I see these results from these eco boost engines, the more I'm starting to like them. I've been a Tundra guy for a number of years but these F150's sure look good.

Yeah they are nice trucks Dernp. What exactly about the UOA makes you like them more? I had an '07 Tundra, was a great truck too. Put 160,000km in it with only a few minor problems. Those Toyota 5.7's are great motors.

Originally Posted By: gap599
Yeah they are nice trucks Dernp. What exactly about the UOA makes you like them more? I had an '07 Tundra, was a great truck too. Put 160,000km in it with only a few minor problems. Those Toyota 5.7's are great motors.

I like the low numbers considering DI and twin turbo. A fellow I work with has the same truck as you and it can haul decent payload and still have lots torque.

I've always said "There's no replacement for displacement" but these eco bosst engines having me rethinking my theory.

The only thing I will mention and Ive heard it from numerous eco boost owners is that the fuel mileage is not what Ford is advertising.

Yeah, all that torque really shows through when you hook up a trailer. I've pulled 10k lbs with it a few times and its amazing how well it handles it.

The fuel economy is nowhere near what Ford claims, but I've never owned a vehicle that came close to the advertised mileage.

On average I get 2-3mpg (imp gal) better than I did with the Tundra.

My truck is a 7650 GVW w/ max tow (3.73 axle) so its not configured for maximum mpg. This summer we did a road trip to Seattle. The total trip was a little over 5,000km and my trip average was 12.3L/100km (23.0 MPG imp) - I was really happy with that especially considering there was a mixture of highway, mountain, city and interstate driving.

Very nice report...thanks for posting.

I agree with your assessment that iron went up due to the cold starts. My experience with many uoa in my big trucks is that both iron and aluminum go up during a winter oci. Sometimes chromium shows up when it otherwise does not, again due to the very cold starts.

Is the motorcraft filter the FL500s or something else? It's doing a good job.

Thanks Dustyroads. The temp has been considerably warmer lately, so hopefully the iron drops with the next UOA, then I can say with some certainty that it was caused by the cold conditions.

Yeah, just using the FL500s.

Wow! Good thing you changed the oil when you did! Look at all that damage and fuel dilution caused from your cold weather idling and DI. Your intake valves must be all carbon by now. Try dumping six gallons of Seafoam and Techron directly in the intake tract to clean stuff up.

And that current iron! 1 ppm higher than universal averages! Good thing you're not using M1!

Sarcasm aside, based on flashpoint I would say it does have a little fuel in it. Not a significant amount; well within reason considering the operation.
This is a really good report. Probably was a good point to change it out. I don't think you would have a problem with 10k km during the warmer months.

Thanks Colt45ws, yeah I plan on getting to 10,000km OCI's eventually. If I changed my oil based on the OLM, it would be approx 16,000km OCI's which seems really long too me.

I am also worried about cold starts but it looks like oils hold up well.

What happened with the first oil change? Low flashpoint, high fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back