Wix Filter Shelf Life- Answer from Wix

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Wix and asked what the shelf life of their oil filters are (when kept in a cool, dry place, out of sunlight).

Their response:
"The shelf life of cellulose media in filters is 5 to 7 years.
3 to 5 years if the media has a phenolic Resin baked in to repel water"

How long can the ADBV and gasket go before it dries out? I want to buy a handful of Wix filters, but that'll last me for about 2+ years and I don't want to lose the savings by having the last few of them go bad on me.

I suspect 2 years would be fine especially if it's a silicone ADBV. I've used filters sitting on the shelf about that old without problems although I don't know if they had rubber or silicone ADBVs. They were OEM filters.

I bought a dozen WIX filters and used them over a period of five years with no issues. Cut the last one open after putting over 9,000 miles on it and it looked great. I just keep them in a closed plastic container stored in a metal cabinet in my garage.

Originally Posted By: Bookmaker
I bought a dozen WIX filters and used them over a period of five years with no issues. Cut the last one open after putting over 9,000 miles on it and it looked great. I just keep them in a closed plastic container stored in a metal cabinet in my garage.

I bought 4 Mobil-1 filters using a discount at AAP. I keep them in a bag in the linen closet, next to the towels.

Drives the wife nuts.

If that is Wix "official" answer, then you've gotta think it's probably longer than that. They would be more interested in protecting their liability than your investment, so they're going to be on the conservative side of the estimate. They say 5-7 year? Probably more like 7-10, situation dependent.

Last edited:
I wonder how long a few WIX filters have been sitting on the shelf at the stores. I could be wrong, but I doubt they rotate stock.. and I imagine it would be even worse on the slow moving filters. Try to find the box with the least dust!

A bit OT, About 6-7 years ago, my dad had to order a filter for his Renix 4.0. They are metric IIRC and don't use the 51085/ PH16. The guys at Oreillys accidentally ordered him 1 case (of 12) rather than just one. They gave him all 12 for the price of 1. Of his 12, 3 have been used for his Jeep IIRC. A few have of the base plates are developing a bit of service rust.. I wonder if they are still okay to use. I should probably dissect one.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
If that is Wix "official" answer, then you've gotta think it's probably longer than that. They would be more interested in protecting their liability than your investment, so they're going to be on the conservative side of the estimate. They say 5-7 year? Probably more like 7-10, situation dependent.

+1 ... or 10~12 years. I'm sure their "spec" has lots of CYA factor included.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
I bought 4 Mobil-1 filters using a discount at AAP. I keep them in a bag in the linen closet, next to the towels.

Drives the wife nuts.

laugh.gif

I buy several at a time, then use my Food Saver to vacuum pack them. Store them in my file cabinet in my home office. Wife thinks I am crazy. Could be right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back