Most miles or years you ever put on a vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Between me and my son we put 354K on a 91 Ford Ranger. M1 10-30 at 10-14K OCI. Valve covers were never removed and the engine ran great when sold.

Wife was bombing back and forth from Southern Maine to Worcester, MA in 2000, in a 1993 Chevy Corsica 3.1/3T40. She usually went around 80 on the highway. Near 30 MPG, never a trans pan drop. Supertech 5w30 and ST filter, approx monthly. Nearly 40k miles a year.

She rubbed another car in a rotary on Rte 2 in Mass and the front end was never right after that. Various mechanics looked at it and couldn't figure it out. In hindsight I'd have put a new steering rack in along with outer tie rods. It shook on mild left turns. The hood only opened by pulling a wire I installed behind the grill. The high beams wouldn't kick off by the lever, the whole column was sloppy. In short at 207k the car was tuckered out, even though it ran fine, so we got rid of it after closing on our house.

myself, nothing terribly impressive, 2000 Hyundai Sonata(2.4l i-4), bought Aug 2001, with ~16k mi, Sold Jan 2010, with ~105k mi. so 89k mi in ~8.5yrs.

My Uncle, however, bought a 95 Pontiac Bonneville SSEI (Supercharged 3800 series II) new, finally got rid of it in Cash for Clunkers(aug 2009) with 300k mi. engine had been rebuilt @ 175k mi, trans... twice, first around 70k, took it in for service(that had nothing to do with the Transmission), and somehow it came back with a missing Trans plug and NO atf left in the system, not sure about timing of second trans rebuild

Last edited:
around 400,000 on an 83 oldsmobile custom cruiser engine ran good till the day we got rid of it 5.0 307 v8
Pennzoil 10w40 from 1985-2013

A 93 Chevy lumina with 420k when a kid burnt out the tranny on it. It had a rought redline type life the whole time. Engine was tip top.

My current daily driver. 2001 Subaru Forester bought a few years ago for $150. Head gasket was blown when i bought it. It was a fleet vehicle that delivered oil and lubricants to coal mines. It saw a very rough life. Speedometer wasnt working when i got it..speed sensor was disconnected. Currently showing 390K+ miles.. it may have 100K more...hard to tell. I change the oil around 5000 miles with whatever is on sale or from my $1 per quart stash. Usually it gets the cheapest filters i can find. I actually enjoy driving it..it doesnt really have any flaws except the check engine light has been on for 3 years. (someone cut the catalytic converter off before i bought it).. I have bought 2 vehicles in the past 2 years to get me out of this subaru but i sold them both. Im keeping the sube until she fails.

1st car. 1986 Mustang LX, 4 speed with the 2.3. Bought in 1992 with 58k. Daily drove until 1998 when I bought a 97 Cobra. Continued to use it on and off until April 2005 when it was disposed at 176k. Original engine/trans/rear. Still would start every time but the body had gave way.

2002 Kia Optima SE 2.7l bought in 2007 with 40k traded in in 2013 with 215k. Had OE ATF and oci from 3k to 10k mostly around 6-7k. I beat that car up used as delivery car and while at college and thought it would die at some point but no, just wanted something new, I bet it would still be running.
Right now have a Sebring with the much hated 2.7l at 178k. Used for commuting and lots of city driving. Putting up to 3k a month on it, doesn't leak or burn oil and only standard maintenance.

I've put 450k on 2 different dodge Rams. Both had 318's.
I've got a couple of work vans now getting close to half a million. One for 4.9 has 480k when I changed the oil in it this afternoon and I've got one with a 305 with 465k.
The Chev is getting close to being done though. It needs various sensors replaced and I'm not putting 1000 bucks into it with the front end getting loose and brakes starting to squeal.
Got a diesel cube van with 450+ on it. It doesn't go very far. Just site to site.
Everything gets 10000 mile intervals with synthetic and tough guards changed at 20000 mile intervals.

1988 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder .... drove to 305,000 miles and sold to brother-in-law who drove to 350,000 miles ... finally rusted pretty bad and needed a new rear main seal ... given to charity ... engine and transmission were still running strong ... oil changes every 5K with Pennzoil conventional.

My 83 Chevy Silverado with 230K on the clock, bought it brand new in June 83 and is still my daily driver, engine has never been touched other than the usual Alt, fuel pump and water pump wearing out, carb has been rebuit twice as well as the tranny, sticking with the 3K oil change routine on this one, 10w40 HM Pennz and 2qt FRAM oil filter.
Like a Rock
thumbsup2.gif

1987 Monte Carlo LS with a 305 V8. It had 144,000 miles on it when my sister bought it in 1991. The guy who had it was a salesman, and he bought all of his cars on a 4 year note, and then sold them as soon as he paid the car off.

Sis drove it to 212,000 and then I bought it from her for $800. I drove it to 252,000 miles, and sold it for $800.
smile.gif
I put the S-10 wheels on it(that happened to have a like new set of tires on them), to get rid of the awful wire wheel hubcaps.

I saw it around town for about a year and a half after I sold it, and then it disappeared. I'm guessing the frame finally gave out and it had to be junked. I would have loved to had the engine back out of it before it was scrapped.

From the time that Sis bought it at 144,000 miles, up to 252,000 miles, it had nothing but Pennzoil conventional 10w-30, changed every 4,000-5,000 miles.

monte_87LS_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
Originally Posted By: Tegger
1991 Acura Integra, bought new in '91. Final mileage when I sold it was 414,000 miles.

Someone bought your car? With over 400k miles?

Yep. I got a whopping $150 for it. It got it out of my driveway, which is all I wanted.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
My current daily driver. 2001 Subaru Forester bought a few years ago for $150. Head gasket was blown when i bought it. It was a fleet vehicle that delivered oil and lubricants to coal mines. It saw a very rough life. Speedometer wasnt working when i got it..speed sensor was disconnected. Currently showing 390K+ miles.. it may have 100K more...hard to tell. I change the oil around 5000 miles with whatever is on sale or from my $1 per quart stash. Usually it gets the cheapest filters i can find. I actually enjoy driving it..it doesnt really have any flaws except the check engine light has been on for 3 years. (someone cut the catalytic converter off before i bought it).. I have bought 2 vehicles in the past 2 years to get me out of this subaru but i sold them both. Im keeping the sube until she fails.

Now that's a good car.

Put 467,000 miles on a 1988 Ford F150 with 5.0L. Had transmission rebuilt but the engine never had the valve covers off.

I used to drive a lot and would put about 50k a year on my vehicles. I would buy new and usually sell just over 200k miles. So, before any major repairs were needed. There were a couple minivans that I ran over 300k - just due to their utility and zero value, and a couple cars that had issues that prompted me to sell by 70K.

Now that I drive about 10k a year per vehicle, I am amazed how much more maintenance is required to go the same number of miles.

My limit on years so far is about 10.

95 Toyota T100 3.4 2wd Auto
Bought it in 2000 when it had 219k on the clock.
It's now closing in on 465k.

New short block at 252k. Toyota ate the cost of the short block bc of a head gasket recall.

A340E trans is original. 10k OCI with M1 5w30. DIY Trans flush every 50k.

Daily driver. I'm pleased to say the least.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Originally Posted By: wemay
My mom and dad's '92 Camry, 400K miles using run-of-the-mill conventional oil changes at between 4-10k mile oci.

That's a pretty big OCI spread! Seems like a testament to the engine designers.
Probably the I4.

Yes (great design) and Yes (I4)... My dad tries to get it done every 4k but has admitted to me going as long as 10K on various occassions. The body is beat up, the engine is varnished but the darn thing runs incredibly smooth...still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back