atf or grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, A question about my manuel trans for my 99 explorer sport. Last time i changed the Manuel Trans fluid I used 75/90 weight. I heard it might be better to go with the atf fluid. It will be very hard to get all that 75/90 oil out of the trans case, what issues might I have if any if the two fluids are mixed. THANKS

If you would want to switch you can buy a cheap ATF and use that as a "flush" and then do another drain and fill using the stuff you intend on keeping there

If Manuel put grease into your transmission, you should have a talk with him.

Mercon ATF is the correct fluid for your manual transmission. 75w-90 gear oil probably didn't hurt anything though. Here is a copy of your owner's manual.

Drain whatever's in there after a nice long drive and you'll be fine.

Ford specs atf for mt in mustang, and I'm sure it's the same tranny. My jeep specs 10w30, I run 5w40 hdeo and there isn't a thing different about the transmission behavior. There are less corrosive gl5s than others, but sulfur eats the yellow metal regardless. I'm not an advocate for low viscosity to begin with, and atf, though transmission fluid, freaks me out. But of course, there are automatics out there running for 400k without overhaul.

If your manual tranny requires a 7.5 cSt fluid, then the following fluids should work:

Quote:
B. ...the 7.5 cSt@100C versions (About the same viscosity as a the original DexronIII/Merc)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

D. BG Synchroshift II 8.2 cSt

E. Mopar Type MS-9417 MTL 9.0cSt

F. Valvoline MTF Part Number 811095 9.2 cSt

G. Pennzoil Synchromesh 9.3 cSt

Status