Lets talk scopes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you using ? My scopes are old but high end Nikon (Japan), Bausch & Lomb Elite, Burris.

I need a new scope for my soon to come Savage 223. The shop I worked at sold lots of Vortex scopes. Is scope tech today so advanced that lower priced scopes are better than high end scopes of old ?

Subscribing. I just bought an AR in .308 and am shopping for scopes. I'd like something in the sub-$500 range so I'm eager to here what people have to say about the quality of lower tier scopes.

Vortex are awesome, have a Crossfire 2 on 7mm browning. Set it zero once and have never had to touch it again.

Carl Zeiss is my favorite high end optic, but I can't justify their purchase. I do have a very nice pair of binoculars though that I keep at work.

In the more moderate range, the Nikon products are really outstanding. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Monarch or Prostaff riflescope. I've used them on a few rifles and a slug gun.

Cheaper yet, there's a $100 Bushnell Banner on my .22.

I'm afraid I've never used a Vortex.

The newer Nikon Prostaff scopes are real nice, within their price point. I've heard it said that they are now better than the older Buckmaster series.

I had a Leupold vx ii on my rifle, prior to selling it a few years ago. If I was going to stay in that 300-400 dollar range, I'd definitely would look hard at a Nikon Monarch, or Bushnell 4200 Elite series scope.

Even with today's technology and overseas cheap labor, good quality scopes still cost too much IMO.

In my experience, it is still very hard to get "serious" quality glass for anything less than $150. Even at that, spending less than $250 usually results in a shorter eye relief, less light transmission and bulky size. You can get a decent scope for a .22lr or very novice grade hunting rifle for less than $150 but don't expect too much performance or durability out of the scope.

That being said, if you are looking for a scope in the $20-$200 range, I recommend Bushnell.
For the $100-$500 range, I recommend Weaver and Nikon. I currently use a weaver grand slam that cost a little less than $200 on my Weatherby and I love it, especially for the price.
Over $500 or so, Leupold is a good bet.

For most people and most budgets, Weaver is probably my overall favorite and what I recommend the most.

There are plenty of other good brands but these are the ones I have the most first hand experience with and feel comfortable recommending. Good luck!

Today, is there that much difference between the most expensive scopes and the budget scopes? Can a budget scope get the job done when you're talking a reasonable distance?

Originally Posted By: nwjones18
I like Redfields myself. New ones are made my Leupold.

+1 great for the money

On .223's, I did a ton of research online and surveyed user opinions. I've bought two in the last few years based on that research and I was super happy with both.

a) Nikon M-223 1-4x 20mm. They have both a BDC reticle version and a "point blank" version. I like both, but the point blank is more practical unless trying to shoot out past 200/250 yds. Good glass, rugged, effective.

b) Vortex SPARC red dot. Very light, very affordable, very rugged.

So if you want traditional glass with modest magnification, the Nikon is great. If you want no magnification and a reliable, cost-effective "dot" optic, the Vortex is great. Definitely get one of the SPARCs (there are two versions now) and not the older, larger model (forget the name now).

Last edited:
AMC, thanks for the link. I'm going to get that scope for my son and he can put it on his 270 win Howa 1500.

I'm still looking for my 223 scope and liking the Nikon Monarch but still searching.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far
smile.gif

I haven't shopped scopes or binoculars for several years, but my guess is good glass is still expensive.

Look through as many as you can and buy what your wallet is comfortable with.

The target won't be impressed with what ever you buy. The group is what counts for many of us.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastGame
AMC, thanks for the link. I'm going to get that scope for my son and he can put it on his 270 win Howa 1500.

I'm still looking for my 223 scope and liking the Nikon Monarch but still searching.

Thanks for everyone's comments so far
smile.gif

Cool, take some pictures and give us a short review of the rifle and scope when you get set up and put some rounds down range.

To further this discussion, I have heard great things about the following scope brands: Burris, Vortex, Redfield, Swift, Sightron and Leatherwood. Unfortunately, I have never used any of them and only ever even seen Burris and Redfield in use.

Some brands I have tried and was not impressed with; Simmons, Barska, BSA and Centerpoint. The Simmons was actually OK for what it was and might be ok for a budget rifle or 22lr of some sort. The other offerings I tried were big, bulky, clunky scopes and all of them had very short eye relief, very dim images and I could never seem to precisely zero any of them. The centerpoint and BSA scopes also severely dented under the pressure of the scope rings being tightened.

And of course - Your Mileage May Vary -
wink.gif

Stay away from the Bushnell Banner's if your shooting anything with Recoil, Ive sent 4 of them back to the factory in the past 3 years.. Now the Bushnell Elite series are better, Nikon Pro, are both fairly affordable glass with good pricetags.

Long time fan of Burris. Leupold too but haven't bought one in a long long time due to price but the ones I have will likely out last me as will the Burris.

For "cheap" scopes have had very good luck with Simmons.

I'm an avid hunter and one lesson I learned well is that good optics won't let you down at critical moments.

I just picked up a Nikon P-223 scope for one of my rifles and can highly recommend it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Today, is there that much difference between the most expensive scopes and the budget scopes? Can a budget scope get the job done when you're talking a reasonable distance?

Yes, there is still a big difference in quality between modern high end optics and the low end. That said, modern low end optics may compete favorably with old (20-30+ year old) scopes.

Cheap, good, light, pick any two.

It's also important to decide what you need in a scope.

If all your shooting is plinking at 50 yards with a .22, a $100 scope is probably just going to be just fine.

If you're looking for a scope for hunting dangerous game in Africa for a once in a lifetime safari, $1000 is probably a good price range.

BSW

Update:

Gander Mountain had one lone Ziess Conquest 3x-9 on clearance for $300, plus store wide 10% off sale. I bought that, still hung up on what rifle to get.

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back