Should we always change WP w/ timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

How many guys don't change their water pump each time they change their timing belt?
My application is a Hyundai Elantra (Beta 2).
Can it be changed every other time?

Seeing that TB replacement is over a fairly long interval, why would you not replace anything associated with it? Pump is a small cost and you're already doing the labor on the belt.
I did our Accord V6 TB at 100K miles, I replaced water pump, tensioner, pulley, etc. to do a complete job. All parts, including the belt, looked great but they were all replaced, there was no reason to assume that they could go another 100k miles.

How often is the job being done? If it's a 60k belt and you crank out the miles, then it might be worth the risk. Especially if it's an easy job.

For me, since it's an 80k belt (it was 100k but got derated) and it's like 6 hours shop time I see it as too much of a risk.

I've heard stories of some reusing the pump (and other parts) on engines that aren't known for snapping belts in the first place. YMMV.

Water pumps are cheap for most cars with timing belts and usually by the time a timing belt is due the cooling system is probably close if not already due as well.

One "feature" of doing the water pump is the automatic renewal of the coolant, which is likely also due at the same time.

Originally Posted By: pbm
How many guys don't change their water pump each time they change their timing belt?
My application is a Hyundai Elantra (Beta 2).
Can it be changed every other time?

i did it on mmy 2004 elantra because of preventive maintenance (also mechanic said it found dried coolant around it) while changing the timing belt and the other belts.
they are stories on the hyundai forums where they changing every other belt.
the oem WP has a good reputation of holding for 2 TB intervals.
do you know the history of the car?

Originally Posted By: supton
One "feature" of doing the water pump is the automatic renewal of the coolant, which is likely also due at the same time.

DITTO!
in winter time you will thank us....can you imagine how nice is to have heat after 3 minutes at 0F?

If the water pump is driven by the timing belt, you are already 2/3 way there. I think it is foolish not to change it while everything is apart.If that pump starts to seize, that new belt will be destroyed.

Most if not all of the people I talked to -- owners and mechanics -- recommended replacing timing belt and water pump at same time on Subarus with 2.5L engines like the '02 Forester I have. I am assuming it's the same for other makes/models.

When I had the timing belt changed at about 100K miles, the w/p and thermostat with their associated gaskets were changed too.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

DITTO!
in winter time you will thank us....can you imagine how nice is to have heat after 3 minutes at 0F?

I thought that was a problem with the old green coolant, the silicates falling out of suspension and then coating cooling surfaces. And of course, coolant renewal means having corrosion inhibitors.

I've never thought about the impact to heating (other than eating the heater core when not changed properly).

If I was planning on keeping the car, I'd change the water pump. If I was planning on trading it in or selling it shortly after, I'd probably reuse the old pump.

I've never thought about the impact to heating (other than eating the heater core when not changed properly).

supton, in my case i change the radiator and change some of the coolant. of course it had some effect against (pretty much) original/old....

You really should replace it every time. I had a 97' Camry that had the original timing belt and water pump/pulley/tensioner at 186k miles. I changed it all out and the water pump and pulley and tensioner all had a lot of resistance when turning them by hand compared to the new ones. They were kind of gritty. I wouldn't want them to feel fine at 80k miles and then when it is due again at 160k they be rough to turn, who know how long they've been like that, at risk of failing on a road trip or something.

It's a judgement call. If its stiff or gritty or seeping, chage it. If its been done semi recently an still feels ok you can probably reuse it. Im pleased with my nice simple design where the Cambelt only times the engine and everything else runs off the auxiliary belt.

the one time I didn't change the pump with the belt, the next belt came early when the pump failed.

I dunno-I also run some older cars where the water pumps have done fine for decades and bought too many bad parts right out of the box=one of my 'pet peeves' is the iffy quality of parts that don't last-especially where there's lots of labor involved. A water pump is a simple part-a seal a bearing and an impeller and I've seen all three bad. The impellers usually on 'rebuilt' units ground down to remove corrosion and then don't move enough coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back