Rustproofing for a new vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am a big fan of CarWell and do it yearly for my two current vehicles I wonder if a different approach should be taken on a brand new vehicle. Or at least for the first 10 years say and then do CarWell.

I inquired about Waxoyl but its about $800-$900 which seems pretty high to me. CarWell is around $100.

Undecided.

Ive done Waxoyl and Carwell (Krown). I prefer the oily approach because the waxoyl makes a total mess if you want to work on your car. Its also easy to top back up.

I would definitely get it done on a new car. I might not have them drill a ton of holes, but then again, why not get the oil into the inner cavities up front?

On a new vehicle, I would opt for the Carwell right from the start.

I've done it yearly on the Accord.

I'd almost be a little bit afraid of the Waxoyl trapping sand/salt. But I have no experience with it.

Wait 1 year and do the Carwell (Krown) treatment. From my experience you don't need to do it every 12 months. The chemical remains active for 18 months. However, if you must have the warranty...it will be needed every 12 months.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Wait 1 year and do the Carwell (Krown) treatment. From my experience you don't need to do it every 12 months. The chemical remains active for 18 months. However, if you must have the warranty...it will be needed every 12 months.

I am not sure there is a warranty with CarWell. But I have gone roughly every year. And I cannot get the CarWell done until around April anyway as they close the shop in the dead of winter as its too cold. Even with a heated garage, it takes a day or so to bring a vehicle up to a warm temp.

Carwell does have a warranty: http://www.carwell.com/downloads/Warranty2009.pdf

My vote is to get it done new. I returned to the rust proofing regime on my current 2 year old car (Krown), hoping to stop the rot that occurs in Michigan.

OldSparks, I'm interested to hear more about the Corrosion Free application from an indy shop (already heard that Canadian Tire sucks at it). As discussed often, it is only as good as the person doing the job.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

OldSparks, I'm interested to hear more about the Corrosion Free application from an indy shop (already heard that Canadian Tire sucks at it). As discussed often, it is only as good as the person doing the job.

I had it done by a small garage here in Ottawa, but apparently you can buy kits to doityourself

http://www.corrosionfree.com/home.html

Depends on the car. I am familiar with VW's and Audi's. They come flooded with waxy rustproofing and are galvanized with a 12 year unlimited mileage rust through warranty. Warranty can be voided by aftermarket rustproofing. I wouldn't, except maybe just the underside, with them. Not in the doors, etc. VW's might not have the best reliability reputation but they are very good with not rusting. Other cars yes. My 2000 Windstar's rocker panels and doors rusted through from the inside in 6 years and I had to get rid of it. My 2000 Jetta is completely rust free.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Carwell does have a warranty: http://www.carwell.com/downloads/Warranty2009.pdf

My vote is to get it done new. I returned to the rust proofing regime on my current 2 year old car (Krown), hoping to stop the rot that occurs in Michigan.

Where are you getting this done arouns MI?

"OldSparks, I'm interested to hear more about the Corrosion Free application from an indy shop (already heard that Canadian Tire sucks at it). As discussed often, it is only as good as the person doing the job. "

Canadian tire sucks at alot of auto work. I had four tires installed at Canadian Tire back in 2011 and it took them 3 hours to take the old ones off and put the new ones on. I don't know why it took so long but I do know I will never get tires done there again.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Where are you getting this done arouns MI?

When my 2005 Caravan started rusting prematurely, I tried to slow it down by getting Rust Check applications in Indiana. They seemed to miss my rocker panels, which disintegrated. That left a bad impression to not go back there.
http://www.rustcheck.ca/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=71

I'm taking my current car to Krown in Windsor. Yes, an extra $10 for crossing fees, but so far I have been finding discount Krown coupons for $10 - $20. I'm so tired of rust that I am going to this effort. We usually make a day of it and have some fun.

There are now two Corrosion Free dealers in SE Michigan (Ann Arbor, Rochester Hills). My adult son called one this winter and got a bad vibe just from his first phone contact. Maybe just a fluke? They said their application cost was something like $300??? I asked my son if maybe this was a mistake and he was quoted for the whole detailing package. He didn't "think" so, but it needs to be confirmed. http://www.corrosionfree.com/dealers.html

Oldsparks: Did they drill any holes (Krown does)? Do you feel comfortable that they were thorough? Is it o.k. to ask what they charged?

I used to use Krown (Windsor area) until I pulled the door panels after there job and found very little oil in there. Got the line from dealer everybody complains of oil dripping in driveway. So basically they are using less product but keeping increasing price. Larger truck is what 150 bucks now??? If you get a second car done more $$$$. Plus 13% tax in Ontario. Way to much cash for me. I now get rustproofing oil from Napa $79.00/5 gallon pail or $99.00 at Car Quest. 3 year supply for large P/U truck and car. Spray myself. Save serious cash!!!!
Like mentioned above it really doesn't matter how good the rustproofing oil is if the guy does a [censored] job.
I vote to spray the new car now. Also get some spray cans and keep the brake and fuel lines well oiled during the winter.

Well I guess I lucked out with the CarWell place I go to with respect to the quality of the job. Either the owner or his assistant does the work, both in their 50s to 60s. I think they have been doing it for a long time. In the summer they have a mobile truck and that does school buses all summer.

I have had 6 Carwell spraying over the years on 3 different cars and the tech spraying really makes a difference. Sometimes it was a great job, and others I was happy I bought a few cans extra to touch up where they easily missed. The only thing I though of if it doesn't stay on painted and glass surfaces, and a new car should be rust free allowing the penetrating oil to go where? If I was keeping a vehicle over 10 years, I would get the spray after the 3rd year which by then would have some exposed metal in which to bond to. Then again, the warranty from Carwell would be nullified because I waited 3 years to do it.

I keep my vehicles a long time and I'm sure the warranty would have many fine print details I don't want to be bothered with haggling about if I had to use it, but that's just me. Doing it from brand new would almost guarantee a rust free vehicle for as long as you own it. My vehicles are a greasy, dirty oily mess underneath with hardly any rust and I love it!

Carwell since it's close to you. I'm seeing how Fluid Film is working on ours. Seems to be doing okay so far.

Not sure about the Krown/Carwell, but the FF seems to bind to the paint a little bit. I've sprayed water onto areas that looked dry, but the water still beaded right off.

Rustproof it for the winter, garage it year round, and it should last until a driver is sick of it.

I started using my Fluid Film on the old T/A. It looks feels and smells like hand cream.

Next time i'll just hit up the drug store when they have a sale on something.

Good old WD40 is $20 gallon at Autozone and creeps into seams and such. I actually started mixing the FF and WD40 to get the FF to flow a little better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back