Changing 2 gallons ATF today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sayjac
MaxLife has added Mercon LV to the front label in addition to Dex/Merc. Shown in link.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3589573/Has_MaxLife_ATF_changed_its_la

Yeah, but it is a high mileage fluid "recommended for":

Originally Posted By: Ashland
Recommended for use where DEXRON, DEXRON II, III and VI, Toyota T-IV and WS, MERCON®, MERCON® SP and LV, Allison TES 389, Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J and Matic-K, Honda Z-1 (except CVT), Mercedes NAG-1, Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II and SP-III and many others are required.

This transmission was one that was originally NOT back-spec'd to Mercon V until they changed the formula. And Mercon and Mercon LV, as well as SP (which this fluid is universally recommended for) are all very different fluids. As is ATF+4 (Mercedes NAG-1 shown in the above list).

This is one of those "jack of all trades, master of none" fluids that, if the transmission pukes, because it is "high mileage" there's no onus on Ashland because it was already "old".

Example, the Mobil Dex/Merc fluid has a 100C visc of 7.2cSt, this fluid is 5.9. Significantly thinner. Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, also a Dex/Merc fluid, is 7.4cSt. Again, heavier. This may not be an issue in a GM tranny, as they back-spec'd DEX-VI for DEXRON apps, and it is a ~5.8cSt fluid like this Maxlife product, but Mercon V is a 7.4cSt fluid, which is the alternative fluid for this gearbox.

I would not use this fluid in this transmission.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Does the truck have four of the same tires on it? No. Even if on the off chance that all of them show the same size, they will have different diameters. It also has three different rims on it, LOL!

He proved the tire was different by putting it in 4wd and the drive train whined like a banshee. It's got to be a different size.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Does the truck have four of the same tires on it? No. Even if on the off chance that all of them show the same size, they will have different diameters. It also has three different rims on it, LOL!

He proved the tire was different by putting it in 4wd and the drive train whined like a banshee. It's got to be a different size.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
^^^ This sometimes happens. Misinformation finds its way into a thread.. Hilarity ensues.

It isn't misinformation, it is an extension of the discussion in your previous thread where you said it "hopped" when you put it in 4x4. You can have four tires with the same size on the sidewall with actual diameters that are different. Go check it out on Tirerack if you want an example.

Combine that with four mis-matched tires that may be worn differently and you have exactly what turtlevette has mentioned: bind.

That's why the importance of having matched tires is mentioned when 4x4 is discussed.

How much of a result in feel and transmission health should this yield?

So how did the "feel" part of the equation work out for you?

Given that you don't know the history of the truck, the first change with just new fluid via a suck out process is fine.

But for the next round I'd probably do a pan drop to replace the filter. So wait for the spring.

Originally Posted By: splinter

It "feels" very smooth. I am happy that I introduced some new fluid into there. It still seems pretty black. The last two exchanges I changed out one gallon. This time, I changed out the two gallons. Each time, the trans "feelelslsls" smoother. This time, even with two gallons exchanged via the fill tube, was the least noticeable. But did feel smoother.

My goal is to "see the color get lighter of the ATF." A bottle of LGR was added about 3000 miles ago, as well.

And it seems I should take a day to check out some yards about "2" new wheels. And when the wheels get right... 4 new tires.

There is a gentleman in Lodi NJ selling 4 wheels exactly matching the 2 on the driver side, with matched 4 tires, for $450. I do not have $450. I know this because I checked Craigslist. I will even ask the yard when I get the Honda parts. I will show the picture.

And, while i do like sharing with you all, it is not, as you say, "for the attention." This is not the Volvo anymore. No more drifts around the Braintree traffic circle so that when they came up to me for whirling it around in an (empty) frozen lot, they say "We got calls a week ago about you. From Braintree." (Massachusetts.) No.. this is now. This is me attempting to get a solid-running truck to:

- Not leak.
- Pass inspection. *AND I DID. I did that.
- Catch up on all maintenance. I can imagine those spark plugs. No, I do not feel comfortable attempting the spark plugs on this. My Blazer? (Which I still have?) Yes..
- Be as fuel efficient as possible.
- Not have a cracked "window visor." I will shop.

Must go back to work now.. checking this week'sweek's recipe bags.. but.. for now? Yes.

It "feels" very smooth. I am happy that I introduced some new fluid into there. It still seems pretty black. The last two exchanges I changed out one gallon. This time, I changed out the two gallons. Each time, the trans "feelelslsls" smoother. This time, even with two gallons exchanged via the fill tube, was the least noticeable. But did feel smoother.

My goal is to "see the color get lighter of the ATF." A bottle of LGR was added about 3000 miles ago, as well.

And it seems I should take a day to check out some yards about "2" new wheels. And when the wheels get right... 4 new tires.

There is a gentleman in Lodi NJ selling 4 wheels exactly matching the 2 on the driver side, with matched 4 tires, for $450. I do not have $450. I know this because I checked Craigslist. I will even ask the yard when I get the Honda parts. I will show the picture.

And, while i do like sharing with you all, it is not, as you say, "for the attention." This is not the Volvo anymore. No more drifts around the Braintree traffic circle so that when they came up to me for whirling it around in an (empty) frozen lot, they say "We got calls a week ago about you. From Braintree." (Massachusetts.) No.. this is now. This is me attempting to get a solid-running truck to:

- Not leak.
- Catch up on all maintenance. I can imagine those spark plugs. No, I do not feel comfortable attempting the spark plugs on this. My Blazer? (Which I still have?) Yes..

Must go back to work now.. checking this week'sweek's recipe bags.. but.. for now? Yes.

Did you see my post earlier about the viscosity of the Maxlife being different than what is spec'd for this gearbox?

- Not leak.

Did you see my post earlier about the viscosity of the Maxlife being different than what is spec'd for this gearbox?

I did see that, and it makes me want to do what I did again, but with a different - thinner - fluid!

I can get my hands on some Supertech Mercon V pretty easily, and re-use this ATF in something else, somewhere down the line.. I have a box of various automotive things.

I also fixed the door issue with PB Blaster. I hope to be able to re-create that, with the back seat not folding down. Penetrating lube may help there, too..

Thicker fluid sir, THICKER fluid. The fluid you used was THINNER.

!!! Ohh... I had to go back and re-read. 5.9 (this Maxlife) vs. 7.4 for Mercon in the Mobil 1? Yes?

Hmmmmmm. So I replaced 2 gallons.. ok.

Yes, I see it now.

Yeah. Even the UOA of the used (sheared) Mercon V posted recently was still mid 6's.

Ok I see what you are saying now.

Should I be in a panic mode, to un-do and get something else in the tranny? Or should I just add LGR?

*Even if I don't use the drain plug - last time I used that was the 24mm Volvo one - I have begun doing drain/fills on trans as part of normal vehicle maintenance. This Expedition is no different. Do you honestly feel it will give the 4R100 a problem?

Why do you think adding an additive will help? It won't. Leave it alone.

And no, it holds a fair chunk of ATF, and this is winter, so it'll be thicker anyways, so I wouldn't be in panic mode.

Just use the right fluid next time, either Mercon V or a D/M fluid with the visc in the 7.xcSt range.

Castrol TransMax D/M is one such fluid:
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/ACA4A5252B86FEC580257AA9005367AF/$File/Castrol_Transmax_DEX_MERC_03520.pdf

http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-states/products/car/automatic-transmission-fluids.html

IMHO, you are less likely to introduce debris into the transmission using the drain plug, which, IIRC, is 13mm.

I believe a drain via this method is around 6L. It also gets the junk that might have settled in the bottom of the pan out. A benefit IMHO.

IMHO, you are less likely to introduce debris into the transmission using the drain plug, which, IIRC, is 13mm.

I believe a drain via this method is around 6L. It also gets the junk that might have settled in the bottom of the pan out. A benefit IMHO.

13mm sounds about right.. that is the socket I used when I changed the oil. S10 Blazer, too.

Honda is 17mm

and Volvo AT drain plus is 24mm

Read this and fear not:

http://www.pqiamerica.com/MaxLife ATF - Response 2-22-13.pdf

The back story here is that PQI originally failed MaxLife for certain applications because of initial cSt, then backed off a bit after the explanation that, being synthetic, it doesn't shear down as much as the original spec ATF did.

http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs120/1103404816784/archive/1112565515944.html

If you want to thicken up to the original ATF spec at a later time, you'll be fine too, especially if you keep up with it.

Last edited:
Yes, "as much". And M1 ATF also wouldn't shear down "as much" and has a much higher starting viscosity, one that is in-line with what the tranny calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back