Just picked up an iPad air 2 128/3G

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed a new small computer device for travel/work/play. I have an iPhone 5s, and older iPad 1, iPad 2, and iPad Mini 3G. I was quite hesitant to purchase another Apple product, as all of my Apple stuff, with the exception of the "mini" have been strangely and annoyingly glitchy.

I really wanted to get a Microsoft Surface or Samsung tablet. They do a great job of keyboard integration and have USB/additional memory capability. However, store incentives, AT+T plan incentives and overall familiarity with Apple products won out.

First thing, the resolution is wonderful. Yes the Samsung has better resolution. So what? I can't see the pixels on this thing no matter what. They are absolutely tiny and I need a 10X jewelers loupe to view the pixels at all. Interestingly, this one is particularly easy to read in sunlight (in the cockpit of my airplane) . The display is very bright and has an effective anti reflective coating. It's the best display I've used. My co-worker has a Surface 2, and the Air 2's screen is remarkably better in bright conditions.

It's also wonderfully responsive and the data speeds are really good around here. This thing is powerful enough to do absolutely everything I need.

The camera is also quite good. I'm never going to claim it's a DSLR, but it is 8MP and takes great pics. Because the display is so good, it's easier and faster to view and edit the pics. I honestly feel that's a big plus.

Overall, an expensive tablet that I feel is finally "good enough" to be a powerful tool too.

Apple displays rarely win a specs race on paper, but they just look so good, don't they? The displays on my old iPhone 4s and my new Motorola Droid Mini have very similar PPI figures (and the Droid is 720p where my iPhone was not), but the iPhone's display is simply nicer.

My son got me and my wife a Chromecast thingy for Christmas. I didn't even know what it was until he installed it and explained it to me. You can probably gather I'm not much of a technophobe. Anyhow, the thing seems to work alright for looking at movies. If it does more than that, I really don't know. I'd have to get my son back over here to help me figure it out..

Ive wanted to like the surface, but for the price, the limitations on it are not compelling to me.

I recall seeing the decent surface units for over $1000 plus keyboard at black Friday. Id take a Lenovo Yoga or whatever its called for that. I don't see the surface being that great unfortunately.

The ipad has its limitations - its not that hard to allow some expandable memory, so it boggles my mind as to why they don't go that route... At least on a top of the line model for power users. I have an ipad 2 and love it. It has never been glitchy, even with the latest iOS versions. Guess Im just lucky.

Nice feedback..thanks. Good to know you can actually read the thing in sunlight. I have two Apple's that were given to me broken..fixed both. Unfortunately, they're not current (mid-2000), but both work fine now.

We got a iPad 2 64GB last weekend. I still wonder why we hadn't got one earlier! The reasoning for getting ours is the Apple's just work. Also have a iPhone 5C and 6 Plus, Late 2012 Mac Mini and Apple TV. Was looking at the Samsung tablet due the expandable memory but the wife put her foot down and said no. I see us getting rid of her laptop for another in the next year for one.. with a keyboard it laptops doesn't make sense for us.

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
..but the wife put her foot down and said no..

That's how Apple makes money, they figured out the female market fine. Quite an achievement, regardless of one's bias.

Has little to do with being "female". Time is money and we've spent too much time buying certain products and in turn wasting money on it. It was actually her reasoning of they work why buy something else and take that chance. Around alot of females and have NEVER heard anything about what your implying above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back