Drive Works Oil Filters Verses The Others ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Efficiency isnt great IIRC, but I think efficiency is overrated.
smile.gif

I want to say they have a metal bypass with a spring? Made in China as well, but appear to be built like hand grenades. Very stout construction.

I am not brave enough to try one.

I tried only one years ago. The female threads were tapped at an angle. Returned it and never looked back.

See a lot of gas fittings the same way.

They are known for stout construction, mediocre efficiency and occasionally poor ADBV's but I'm sure they work or this board would be lit up with failures.

I myself don't understand why someone would buy a Chinese filter when you can have an American made one of good quality for literally pennies more.

Tried a cartridge one in the Cobalt...worked just fine.

Actually looks better than the Puro classic I chose it over...

When I was done with one, I cut one open not too long ago.

Unfortunately, it looked a heckuva lot better than most anything Purolator tries to make anymore...

Clicky here....

Probably good enough for a standard OCI.

For an extended drain, I would select a filter with synthetic media instead.

Careful, some of the filters are undersized...

The Fram 3600 and third smaller 3614 have the same DriveWorks equivalent, and it's the same size as the 3614...

If your car specifies the 3600, you may be using a filter that's too small...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

The Fram 3600 and third smaller 3614 have the same DriveWorks equivalent, and it's the same size as the 3614...

This is a trend in the industry, and also with the manufacturers as well. My Silverado, Sierra, and Town and Country all now "officially" have a smaller size filter spec'd by the manufacturer than what they had when they all rolled off the assembly line.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

This is a trend in the industry, and also with the manufacturers as well. My Silverado, Sierra, and Town and Country all now "officially" have a smaller size filter spec'd by the manufacturer than what they had when they all rolled off the assembly line.

so... mrsilv04 i have to ask about your signature? why not speed through that town in WV? i feel like there is an interesting story here? lol

Or the USA made is a dollar less for a better filter, and some will still reach for the made in China. Saw Craftsman wrenches made in China, the kind that were aways US made, maybe ony the military buys USA made tools now. Now we have made in China and the price is the same as the made in USA was, before the US factories were closed.

Quote:
What is their efficiency rating ?
All I can find is " > 5 MC"
I have no idea what this means.

That's because it basically means nothing. Without both parts of the spec, percent and micron level it's meaningless. And ideally one would like to see the ISO test procedure with it. And AAP spec sheets are not noted for their accuracy. They have the MC 820S listed at 80%>20um, but can't blame them for that one as that is what MC has as published.

As for DW efficiency, there's a member that contacted AAP regarding DW efficiency specs, can't find the thread now but as I remember it wasn't great but still better than the A02 tested. And while never been posted here, supposedly several applications are made by Fram. But the vast majority found at AAP are made in China.

There's been many dissections, new/unused and used. Below is a used one with some good pics. Looks well made. That said, with all the reasonably priced readily available US based brands, certainly understand the coo discussion. I'd likely only use one if part of an exceptional AAP oil/filter monthly promo. Just me.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3028062

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
Or the USA made is a dollar less for a better filter, and some will still reach for the made in China. Saw Craftsman wrenches made in China, the kind that were aways US made, maybe ony the military buys USA made tools now. Now we have made in China and the price is the same as the made in USA was, before the US factories were closed.

That a whole can of worms, not what this thread is about,, however I was at Wallymart and I was in the tool section just looking and all the tools said made in china... and I was sorta talking to myself but out-loud.. the guy next to me heard me and he said, you see all the tools with the chrome on them??? I said you mean the Stanley ratchets and sockets and he said yes all the tools that are chrome or chrome valdaium are all made in china.. I said not craftsman and he told me the story of the bionic wrench

Shame on sears for doing this and craftsman made in china.
My Grandpa who used to love craftsman and had many many craftsman tools that all said made in usa on them. ** He left me a drill that is older then me ** Over 40 years old and its a craftsman and works perfect and came from sears with a 6ft cord.. Ever notice now power tools have small cord?

Also did you know that no flat screen device is made in usa?
also China steals intellectual copy right laws....
I'm a big fan of the Young Turks on YOU TUBE and they talk about that kinda stuff and the coal burning problem in china. I try not to buy things made in china but somtimes I cant help it... I just cant find what Im looking for made in usa. I was in Wallymart and I was looking around and the only thing i could find that said MADE in USA was some No2 lead pencils

but watch what Sears did to this guy...... I'm sure sears was making $ before but to ship the job over to china to make perhaps 2$ more per sale... watch this...
This story is old but I wonder what happend? The guy should of got a patent on it.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/MadeInAmerica/w...ory?id=17720122

I wasn't the one bringing up made in China first in this thread. I won't buy a made in China filter. If we buy it someone in China running a factory has made a sale, with the goal to take over the market, just like the other things you mentioned. The topic was DW filters versus others, and that China label makes it a no contest to me.

Given the fact the DW uses an all paper cellulose media, efficiency is likely around 75-80 percent at 20 microns. Just a reasonable guess imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back