Frozen pizzas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: hotwheels
Originally Posted By: Chris142
NATURAL FLAVORING= MSG...Makes me sick

Do walnuts and/or parmesan make you ill?

hotwheels
parmesan will. My wife is deathly allergic to nuts.

I ask because parmesan and walnuts are among the foods that contain the highest levels of naturally occurring glutamate. Luckily, I have no issues with walnuts or parmesan, but I don't eat those foods in quantities equal to a Chinese three-course meal.

I only eat MSG-free Chinese food anymore, because large doses of MSG make me vomit my dinner.

hotwheels

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

With an ingredient list like this, better you than me. Making a flavorful real pizza with real ingredients is so much tastier, healthier, and much less expensive. But if your idea of food is something frozen that resembles (and probably tastes like) a muddy frisbee, then by all means have at it.

Could you ship me a POP pizza to Akron
smile.gif

I love gourmet home cooking.

Wallyworld has pizza in a cooler, NOT frozen. Their thin crust offering is not bad. I usually bank on hot pizza from the places the college kids visit. They don't tolerate bad pizza.

Originally Posted By: Rand

With an ingredient list like this, better you than me. Making a flavorful real pizza with real ingredients is so much tastier, healthier, and much less expensive. But if your idea of food is something frozen that resembles (and probably tastes like) a muddy frisbee, then by all means have at it.

Could you ship me a POP pizza to Akron
smile.gif

I love gourmet home cooking.

GIORDANO'S PIZZAS!!!! Is as good as "Frozen" pizza can get!

http://giordanos.com/

Last edited:
Frozen pizzas used to be a way of life around here.

Sometimes baseball practice runs long because the boys are doing something wrong and got to put in the work or doing something right and just don't want to quit. Having dinner hot and ready in 15-20 minutes works.

But then I discovered Papa Murphy's

http://www.papamurphys.com/

It's only a couple bucks more than a Freschetta or diGiornio and way better.

It's better than Little Seizures or Pizza Patron'.

For that matter, it's better than Dominos, Pizza the Hutt, or Papa John's.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Red baron mexican style supreme pizza is so good.

I. Stumbled across them again, its been since 2005 since ive last had one.

TOMATOES (WATER, TOMATO PASTE), ENRICHED FLOUR (WHEAT FLOUR, MALTED BARLEY FLOUR, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID), CHEDDAR CHEESE (CULTURED PASTEURIZED MILK, SALT, ENZYMES, ANNATTO [COLOR]), LOW MOISTURE PART SKIM MOZZARELLA CHEESE (CULTURED PASTEURIZED PART SKIM MILK, SALT, ENZYMES), MEXICAN STYLE COOKED PIZZA TOPPING (SAUSAGE (PORK, BEEF, WATER, JALAPENO PEPPERS, SALT, TOMATO POWDER, SPICES, FLAVORING, HYDROLYZED CORN, TORULA AND BREWERS YEAST, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN, CHILI POWDER [CHILI PEPPER, SPICE, SALT, FLAVORING], SUGAR), WATER, TEXTURED VEGETABLE PROTEIN (SOY FLOUR, SALT)), TORTILLA CHIPS (ENRICHED GROUND CORN TREATED WITH LIME [CORN, NIACIN, REDUCED IRON, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN, FOLIC ACID], VEGETABLE OIL [CORN OIL, SUNFLOWER OIL, COTTONSEED OIL, AND/OR PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN OIL], SALT), CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: YEAST, VEGETABLE SHORTENING (PALM OIL, NATURAL FLAVOR, SOY LECITHIN), GREEN CHILIES, DICED TOMATOES, WATER, GREEN ONIONS, SUGAR, VEGETABLE OIL (SOYBEAN, COTTONSEED, CORN, AND/OR CANOLA OIL), SALT, RED BELL PEPPERS, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, SALSA FLAVOR CONCENTRATE (SAUTEED VEGETABLES AND HERBS [JALAPENO PEPPERS, CILANTRO, ONIONS], TOMATO PASTE, SALT, SUGAR, CANOLA OIL, CORN STARCH, SOYBEAN OIL, MONO- & DIGLYCERIDES, SPICE, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL FLAVORING, EXTRACTIVES OF PAPRIKA), MALTODEXTRIN, CHILI PEPPER, GARLIC POWDER, CILANTRO, PAPRIKA, ONION POWDER, SPICE, DOUGH CONDITIONER (WHEAT STARCH, L-CYSTEINE HYDROCHLORIDE, AMMONIUM SULFATE), JALAPENO PEPPER, ASCORBIC ACID, ENZYMES (CONTAINS WHEAT).

You think that stuff isn't in a Dominoes or Little Sleazers Pizza? Guess again...

Pretty sure those chains are not what he had in mind.

That said, the first number of main ingredients seem pretty normal. But then comes hydrolyzed stuff. Ugh.

Making a flavorful real pizza with real ingredients is so much tastier, healthier, and much less expensive.
no way. not possible. these are 3/$10 at the store. No way can you make a 12" pizza with that many toppings for less than that. have you seen the price of fresh peppers?

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Making a flavorful real pizza with real ingredients is so much tastier, healthier, and much less expensive.
no way. not possible. these are 3/$10 at the store. No way can you make a 12" pizza with that many toppings for less than that. have you seen the price of fresh peppers?

I think if you actually weighed the amount of expensive ingredients on a $3.33 pizza, you'd find that you could make them for about the same price. If you bought a pepper and sliced it microns thin like they do, you could probably make 2 dozen pizzas with that pepper.
Anyways, a pizza you make at home isn't the same as the $3 pizza, so they aren't really comparable.

There are some brands that are decent for ingredients. We have a few of these in the freezer for emergencies...
Here's what McCain's spinach and provolone thin crust pizza has in it.

CRUST: Enriched wheat flour, malted barley flour, water, breadcrumbs, soy oil, yeast, sugar, olive oil, natural flavour, salt, soy flour.
CHEESES: Part skim mozzarella and provolone (partly skimmed milk, modified milk ingredients, milk, bacterial culture, salt, calcium chloride, microbial enzymes, lipase), cornstarch.
SAUCE: Water, tomato paste, cornstarch, sugar, salt, spices (mustard) and herbs, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic.
TOPPINGS: Spinach, butter, garlic and onion puree (garlic, onions, soy oil, water, citric acid), garlic powder, dehydrated spinach. CONTAINS : Wheat, milk, soy, mustard, barley

The MSG in the crust isn't awesome, but the rest is pretty good.

Originally Posted By: ronbo
Lucky to have a large number of independent Pizza shops in my area so I don't have to eat "frozen Pizza".

One of a few advantages of NY State. It's hard to get good pizza elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Sometimes baseball practice runs long because the boys are doing something wrong and got to put in the work or doing something right and just don't want to quit. Having dinner hot and ready in 15-20 minutes works.

Papa Murphys is good stuff; I hardly ever get delivery pizza from brand x anymore. Murphys tastes so much better.

I'm going to be devil's advocate here. I LIKE frozen pizza. I also like pizzas from chains and mom & pop pizza joints. Many frozen pizzas cost $5+ and are often worth it. I have had some of the best crusts on frozen pizzas (I like thin, crisp crust). I don't compare one to another because each has its place. I like having a couple of good frozen pizzas on hand when I want something tasty and convenient. I'll go out and pick something up if I want that type of pizza. I don't do delivery much because I just don't care for getting pizza that way, can't state why.

So, enjoy what you enjoy and don't worry about anyone else's opinion.

Eatin' Totinos frozen pizza a lot. On sale around here often for 3 for $4.00 at Giant Eagle Food Store. Local Dave's Supermarket has Mama Santas pizza which comes in a two pack. They don't taste very good but if you doctor them up with some tomato sauce and cheese they are edible. Sometimes the dog will even eat some if he is in the mood.

Nuff said,

xtell

If ever any of you make it to Hackensack, NJ I'll show you a good pizza.

A basic, frozen pie (with minimal chemicals) is a legit thing for the freezer. Just add onions and bell peppers.

NJ has my favorite kind of pizza (YMMV). We have a long term transplant in town who opened his pizza place about twenty years ago. Claims the water here makes even better crust - yeah, right. But, I've been buying his pizzas for years and have traveled in NJ/NY plenty. It holds its own against the "real thing." But, if that type of pizza is not your thing it matters little. We also have a local place that makes Chicago style deep dish, also excellent.

Variety is the spice of life. Given the right situation and investment in good frozen pizzas I like those just as much.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: ronbo
Lucky to have a large number of independent Pizza shops in my area so I don't have to eat "frozen Pizza".

One of a few advantages of NY State. It's hard to get good pizza elsewhere.
I'd say there are plenty of good shops in Southie (South Boston) and down south of here in Providence RI on "Federal Hill".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
If ever any of you make it to Hackensack, NJ I'll show you a good pizza.

A basic, frozen pie (with minimal chemicals) is a legit thing for the freezer. Just add onions and bell peppers.

I know the area pretty well. Please do tell. A crumb cake from B&W would go well too.

I got beat to it, but if you are ever in the MN area, try a Heggies Pizza. Yes, they are frozen pizzas. None of the big nationals can touch 'em.

Bazbeaux (Bazz-bose I think?) in Indianapolis is phenomenal. Whenever the GF and I visit her aunt, we either go there or this little Greek place. Its a tough decision either way. Lol.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

There's a place in Arlington called Brooklyn's Best. My fave pizza ever!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back