can a flatbed trailer be stored on it's side?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This sounds a little strange maybe but I don't have another forum to put it in... vehicle seemed the most appropriate.

Is there any reason that a flatbed trailer could not be stored completely on it's side? I don't know if there's some reason it would affect wheel lubrication or things designed to be right side up or whatever - i'm not a mechanic and although i'm learning how things work and don't see any problems maybe there is one i'm not aware of.

Basically put in the near future i'll have access to one garage position and am trying to put both a small pickup and a trailer in there. The folding 4x8 type trailers fit but aren't really heavy enough, i'm looking at something like a 5000lb rated tandem axle trailer that's a bit longer. So I was wondering could I just flip it up onto it's side when i'm not using it? :- P I'm aware it's not the lightest thing in the world and i'm sure maybe a winch is involved and some kind of frame to hold it in position, but for a rarely used trailer which HAS to be inside perhaps I can also fit the truck next to it...

As long as its not sitting on the bottom tires, I don't see a problem with it. A trailer like that weighs quite a bit though, ~1400lbs so it would take some thinking to anchor a winch to tip it up, plus some chains or something to keep it from accidently being pulled over by someone or something.

You could, but I'd be concerned about keeping it upright and stable. Especially if kids are around-it could flop back over fairly easily.

I see three potential problems here.

First, physically lifting the trailer onto its side will be difficult. A sturdy tandem axle trailer will likely weigh 1000 pounds plus on its own. And it's a liability tilted on its side...a lot of potential energy to fall on someone. You'd have to secure it well. (And this type of storage isn't in ANY owner's manual, so even if you did take due diligence, if it falls down, you're really on your own in court.)

Second, depending on how you tilt it up, you'll likely bend up any fender material that covers the tires on the side supporting the trailer's weight. Be sure to work this aspect out first before attempting to tip anything of this weight up.

Thirdly, though this easily verifiable up front, will you really have room for an up-tilted trailer AND a truck in one garage stall? A sturdy trailer like that will likely be at least 30-40 inches "thick" when up against a wall. Consider room for opening a truck door, etc.

Hello, Not the answer you want to hear but.....
I think it's just fine to tip a trailer on its side BUT I DON'T KNOW WITH 100% CERTAINTY.
I do like the advice of not keeping it on one or both wheels of one side. Get its frame to take its weight.

Also, dedicate real strong hardware (chain with a bolt or even a lock) as a safety. Make said hardware immoveable. It stays with the wall, so to speak.
Gee, where'd that chain go? I guess I gotta go get more. Then you leave the thing unattended NOT GOOD.

If the garage is big enough, Get a trailer with a tilting deck.Then park the truck on top of it. You would have to put the trailer in hitch first of course.

I think parking on this trailer inside the garage is your best bet. Your work to speed this process up, by blocking it in appropriate spots, or even anchoring it in predefined holes, will make it seem like it's not even there. Like an alignment rack. I wonder if its loading ramp hinges or ??? would see accellerated wear from loading and offloading 2x a day. Blocking its frame up would save its springs/ tires from bouncing around with the loading.

Though I don't know many who store trailers indoors. Is this an apartment type situation or ???

I store my 40x48 inch HF mini trailer on its rear end. It balances, but I hook its tongue safety chains around a nearby tree to make sure. This, to take less space.

I would get a winch from harbor freight or something and bolt a pulley to the wall so that the winch cable comes from the cement floor (bolted down) through the pulley about 6' high (bolted to the wall) then it would pull the trailer up. Use some wood blocks or something so that when the trailer tips on its side the frame is on the blocks so that you don't have all that force on the edge of the wheel which may not be good for the axle. Also have some kind of chains on each end bolted to the wall to wrap around the trailer frame for safety chains.

I have a 4X6 trailer with 2000Lb rated axle. If you look at the picture, there is another 4 foot section that is attached to the front to make it a 4X10 trailer. If you look closely, there is a tailgate and a spare tire kit as well. I also have an extra long pole tongue for when I bolt the kayak carrier on it. I have had to cut, chop and weld this trailer to get it to fit in my garage. If I had to do it over again, I would build a trailer myself that had a higher weight capacity. But for now, this fits my needs perfectly. Its compact, versatile and easy to set up in multiple configurations. Never rest the trailer on the wheels for this will damage things. If you want it on its side, I would build a wood platform to keep it off the wheels.

100_6335_zpsm1kqqjiu.jpg

FWIW...

I was looking at M/C trailers the other day and there is a company that sells a wheel kit designed to transport and store their trailers on the side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back