Anyone mixing moly and antimony

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running bel-ray friction modified 10W-40 with 1 -<3% antimony and was thinking about adding some lubro moly additive 50ml per qt. Reason is this bike has reputation for failed crank and rod journal coating which then leads to bearing failure so I am looking to get more life out of it. Any ideas if this is good or bad. Any science behind it?

Last edited:
If your bike has a shared sump with the gearbox, i.e. clutches you need to be careful what you add. Moly above certain amounts is not recommended for wet clutches. If its a separate sump for the clutches or dry clutch then go for it. Mola says the shaeffers 132 additive has antimony, lubromoly mos2 is the suspended colloidal moly.

Last edited:
I would stick with antimony oil and not add any more friction modification.

Antimony DTC is a multi-functional additive: Anti-wear, friction modification, and anti-oxidant.

Sorry should have said motor oil side only, not in the transmission / clutch side. Would you guys say Antimony or Moly is better anti wear? And I have some Shaeffers 132 that I have been running in the cars and when I was running the Honda HP4M 10W-40 with moly I was adding a couple ounces to the engine side of that bike. So essentially I was adding Antimony (132) in with however much moly was in the HP4M. I am seeing a few tiny gold colored specs which is usually the precursor for the coating failing. I too have had the yellow sediment in the bottom of those 132 bottles which makes me wonder what it is? Is it what I'm seeing in the used oil? Anyway I decided to switch to the Bel-ray with Antimony but know Honda recommends Moly oil and that's why I was asking if I should add some moly. I will be testing the gold specs next time with a magnet because if it is the crank coating it is metallic. Thanks for any advise.

Last edited:
I don't think tiny gold specs in the oil are from the 132. the bottom of the 132 bottles i think is the dye, and it does not appear to be particulate. I'm not as familiar with bike bearings but i would suspect them if you are seeing gold colored particles. If you have metal particles, its too late for antiwear additives.

Last edited:
Thanks, from reading on the Thumper racing forums on this bike, these gold specs come out from day one and actually get less after 4-5 oil changes. Then around 200hrs they come back and that's when the coating is coming off. You can get another 50-70 hrs before the bearings fail. Since my bike is only on its 4-5 oil change I don't know how long they have been there or if they are getting more or less since I just found out about the issue and started monitoring. So hopefully I am not too late. I looked at the gold in the 132 again and it is more yellow than the specs so your right they didn't come from the 132, wish they had!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back