4 Routers Tried, Mostly Slow ONLY on WIFI. Help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I am.

Have you tried turning it off? (silly question, I know but worth asking).

I have. Makes no difference.

Quote:
Also, opening the properties of the adapter, under the Advanced tab, you should have channel width options, at least they are present on the Centrino adapter I have here. Have you checked those?

Yup. Checked it. It is set to "Auto". The other option is "20 MHz only".

OK, another stupid question, but another one of those options is 802.11n and the option is enabled
wink.gif
Is it?
grin.gif

BTW, the laptop here I have is set to 20Mhz only under width for 2.4Ghz, Auto on the 5Ghz channel, and is currently connected at 144Mbit.

as a troubleshooting step do you have a linux mint usb stick?

maybe boot into linux and see what it connects at.. to make sure its a w7 problem/setting.

you might also consider if any sort of
power saver mode is on for the wireless card.

Last edited:
Also since I am just tossing ideas out there, I seem to remember the WMM setting making my old thinkpad centrino 2200 flaky.. try changing that setting to off or on whatever it isn't set to now and report back.

OK, another stupid question, but another one of those options is 802.11n and the option is enabled
wink.gif
Is it?
grin.gif

Yes.

BTW, the laptop here I have is set to 20Mhz only under width for 2.4Ghz, Auto on the 5Ghz channel, and is currently connected at 144Mbit.

Setting it to 20MHz didn't improve anything. It actually may have made it worse.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Rand

maybe boot into linux and see what it connects at.. to make sure its a w7 problem/setting.

In linux (ubuntu) the reported speeds are much higher. It shows 270 Mbps at times. The actual speeds are higher, too. For example, I am able to max out my WAN connection on speedtest.net which is around 20 Mbps. Whereas the same test under Windows7 doesn't get past 14 Mbps.

Quote:

you might also consider if any sort of power saver mode is on for the wireless card.

Can't really find any power saving setting on it, other than "Transmit Power" which is set to highest.

Also since I am just tossing ideas out there, I seem to remember the WMM setting making my old thinkpad centrino 2200 flaky.. try changing that setting to off or on whatever it isn't set to now and report back.

I have WMM disabled. Enabling it made no difference though.

In linux (ubuntu) the reported speeds are much higher. It shows 270 Mbps at times. The actual speeds are higher, too. For example, I am able to max out my WAN connection on speedtest.net which is around 20 Mbps. Whereas the same test under Windows7 doesn't get past 14 Mbps.

Quote:

you might also consider if any sort of power saver mode is on for the wireless card.

Can't really find any power saving setting on it, other than "Transmit Power" which is set to highest.

So Rand is probably right then, and it is a whacky driver issue (and has nothing to do with your router, so change that back!).

When you upgraded the driver, did you just do a normal upgrade or did you uninstall the device first and then re-install it? If the normal way (the former) might want to try the 2nd way. Just to see if "defaulting" the settings for the adapter fixes it.

Thanks!

It appears I did not have the latest driver installed, as I initially claimed. I installed Intel Driver Update Utility, and it found and installed a newer driver. My wifi connection is now faster. Thanks!

On a side note, I just ordered the Centrino Advanced-N 6205 adapter since it supports 5 GHz. Where we live now, the 2.4 GHz spectrum is very crowded, so I want to get away from it.

On a side note, I just ordered the Centrino Advanced-N 6205 adapter since it supports 5 GHz. Where we live now, the 2.4 GHz spectrum is very crowded, so I want to get away from it.

thumbsup2.gif

That's the one I have here.

Finally got the 6205 adapter installed. The first one I bought from ebay turned out to be a fake and/or incompatible with my Lenovo. Got a second one from Amazon now.

Anyway, is 300 Mbps the max theoretical speed that this adapter will support?

Also, what realistic speeds are you guys getting on it? I did some tests using LAN Speed Test and fairly large files. About 17 MB/s is what I get. Granted, my router could also be the bottle neck here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back