Do you pre-fill the filter with oil during OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never filled them. Always put on dry. Oil pressure lights go off within 1-2 seconds and never had an issue.

I'm not about to try to fill it, have it drip like when you take off the used, etc to maybe save an infinitesimal amount of wear.

Might want to ask your customer to photocopy his owner manual page.most car maker or big truck maker ask filter dirty side to be prefilled.since each car is different? I suspect a prefilling screw is probably avail ,since some are mounted inverted

Originally Posted By: glum
I prefill all filters. If it's a horizontal filter, I pull the engine and turn it on its side, then reinstall.

What a great idea!! Thanks. I always rented a crane and hoisted the vehicle vertically. This sounds much cheaper.

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Originally Posted By: glum
I prefill all filters. If it's a horizontal filter, I pull the engine and turn it on its side, then reinstall.

What a great idea!! Thanks. I always rented a crane and hoisted the vehicle vertically. This sounds much cheaper.

I was considering drilling a hole in the filter to fill it then plug it with some silicon. I really like the engine pull plan.

Try cutting the filter open, soaking the cartridge, filling the can with oil, then weld it back together. Works for me.
35.gif

I do if filter is upright, usually fill it about 3/4 as long as I have good access so it isn't going to spill. While I doubt it makes much difference, why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back