Cars you wouldnt drive if they were FREE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most modern cars are just fine. However, I draw the line at the previous generation and earlier Impala. It's 1970 all over again, and the Impala's vehicle dynamics disagree with me, massively.

The current "new" Impala is good, GM did an excellent job on the update.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Anything FWD.

Almost all of them, but a few notables stand out with pleasing dynamics.

Just not very many!

I'll drive anything but a "Needlenose" model 281 Peterbilt or any Kia. One is supposed to be driven by a psycopathic killer, the other gets you killed all by itself.

hotwheels

Assuming I don't need a car and don't know anyone who needs a car:

- all Daewoos, even the rebadged ones
- most 80s to early 2000s GMs, maybe with exception of their trucks, mid-90s+ Camaro/Firebird, Corvette
- jellybean Taurus/Sable
- Chrysler cloud cars
- a lot of Mitsubishis, with exception of the Evo (what's the chance someone would give one away?), Montero, 2nd gen Eclipse, and Lancer Ralliart
- Swift/Metro
- Festiva/Aspire
- 80s to early 2000s Kia
- 80s to early 2000s Hyundai

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Try a Festiva before dismissing them...my wife had one, and it was actually a very good car.

MT or AT? The AT Aspire we had was gutless.

Try a Festiva before dismissing them...my wife had one, and it was actually a very good car.

Not saying it's a bad car, but it and the Swift look like they would have a small chance of survivability in an accident and neither are cool enough that I would take that risk.

My MT Aspire was a great car. I went on green and a Mack truck took out my front clip at about 50mph. Airbag deployed and I had a sore knee. Loved that car, it did get insulted but was fun to toss around and was very inexpensive to keep going.

I can only imagine how much fun the Festiva was with its 12" rims, 200-300 less curb weight and shorter wheelbase.

The Aspire was my first Ford.....assembled by Kia with Mazda components.

I hated my 92 Dakota ext. cab 3.9 auto, but was decent enough, just slooooooow.

Seeing how I drove an Aspire and didnt let others' comments get to me, kind of proves Im not really vain at all, but......the Smart cars I wouldn't drive.

Originally Posted By: 99Saturn

MT or AT? The AT Aspire we had was gutless.

In stock form they were but advance the timing a bit will turn it into whole 'nother animal. That applied to both the Aspire and Festiva auto's.

If I had no vehicle and someone was prepared to give me a running vehicle for free then only a fool kicks a gift horse in the mouth.
If my options are walking to work or driving to work in the ugliest vehicle ever built I can assure everyone I'll be driving.
And I couldn't care less what bystanders think or if they laugh. I'm not walking with my groceries home.
I'm not bicycling in -40c winter mornings to get to work,I'm driving whilst enjoying my coffee.
I've been so broke that I was without a vehicle for short periods of time and yes it builds character having to tough out situations I'm not too proud to accept a hand up from someone.
Sometimes a hand up gives a person that last piece to the puzzle and they start to multiply their success exponentially.
You have to start off at the botyom in order to appreciate what it means and what it takes to be successful,because there's always a wrench thrown in the gears at some point in life and if a person has had opportunities handed to them and not earned they won't be able to re-achieve success,and think a living should be handed to them.

If I didn't have a car and couldn't afford to buy one, then I would take a free, working one too no matter what it looked like.

I think I've at one time or another driven almost everything on the OP's list except the Previa. The lab fleet used to have several Dustbuster vans and GM X-car derivatives. I actually think the AMC Eagle is a really cool car with an interesting AWD system and would love to have one if I had time/money/space to waste on another toy. Not so fond of the Pacer- HS girlfriend had one of those and their reputation is justified. The first of the Cordobas were just B-body chassis (Satellite, Coronet, Charger) with a fancier body shell and interior, so they were actually great cars under the rich Corrrrrrinthan Leather. The second generation were based on the Aspen/Volare chassis and weren't so hot.

If I needed a car and someone offered, I'd drive pretty much anything, I'm not that proud. If I had enough cars and, say, won one in a contest, well then there are quite a few I'd promptly sell and use the money on something else: Any Japanese car, a Corvette or Camaro, most Mercedes, a few BMWs, petty much anything front-wheel-drive. Pretty much any exotic, because I know that it would eventually just get me into trouble and every mile I put on it would be thousands of dollars off its sale value...

Anything made by Ford, VW, Toyota, BMW, Nissan (exception GT-R), or Chrysler (except Ram trucks) and that includes all of their other companies like Nissan/Infiniti or Toyota/Lexus.

Other than that, anything made before 2012.

Last edited:
Oh I forgot those too!

Hurr durr muh Korean luxury

wine cooler in the back that drains 5hp yet hard low quality plastic on most surfaces. EXCELLENT PRIORITIES!

Originally Posted By: horse123
Anything made by Ford, VW, Toyota, BMW, Nissan (exception GT-R), or Chrysler (except Ram trucks) and that includes all of their other companies like Nissan/Infiniti or Toyota/Lexus.

Boy, with that kind of taste, where's the Rolls and Bentley in your signature? Oh, and you might want to remove the Ford GT from it
smirk.gif

Wait, BMW owns Rolls, so scratch that too one eh?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: horse123

Boy, with that kind of taste, where's the Rolls and Bentley in your signature? Oh, and you might want to remove the Ford GT from it
smirk.gif

Wait, BMW owns Rolls, so scratch that too one eh?
Yeah that's the pickiest I've seen lol. Of his list I'd say I wouldn't own certain Fords, gas VWs (except the old ones), newer Nissans, or Chrysler CARS (Except Charger/Challenger).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back