Ford vs Checy truck weight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading this months Feb. 2015 Car and Driver where they comparig the Ford F150 vs competition. While reading there was a line "There is truth in the quip that by saving 600 pounds, Ford finally got its truck to weigh as little as a Chevy." While comparing the weights the Ford weighs 5577, the Chevy 5658. Any one know where the weight is in a Ford. With the Ford being made of aluminum,I would think there would be a greater difference in weights.

Car and Driver always has something smart to say about something.

My guess would be the engine, transmission and interior.

And remember: Chevy build quailty was not so hot for awhile, IIRC. And I still love the Bowtie. The Blue Oval has shown me that Ford is no slouch, though.. and I see why people like them.

If you think the F-150s are heavy, take a look at the Super Duty. Mine weighs 7200 lbs, and its just an extended cab, short box, with the 5.4. Get a crew cab with a diesel and they're north of 8000 lbs.

My understanding is that Ford made the body panels out of aluminum but not the frame due to costs. Not sure how much weight that really save since the aluminum is also thicker to achieve similar strength. I want to see how well they hold up since aluminum does stress fracture easier than steel.

In my experience a Chevy holds up better than a Ford, plus is cheaper around here and gets better gas mileage. Disclaimer: totally subjective, though. I do like the Ford's domestic parts content the best. GM set the low standard on that, which cost them a future sale by me. Still a tough decision when buying a new 1/2 ton truck now for sure.

For reference I've had my truck on the scales a couple times. '97 Chevy 2500, 8600 GVWR (heavy 3/4 ton, the predecessor to an HD), extended cab 8' bed, 2wd. Vortec 5.7, 4l80e trans. Half tank of fuel, empty it weighs just a hair over 5300 lbs.

Originally Posted By: KenO
For reference I've had my truck on the scales a couple times. '97 Chevy 2500, 8600 GVWR (heavy 3/4 ton, the predecessor to an HD), extended cab 8' bed, 2wd. Vortec 5.7, 4l80e trans. Half tank of fuel, empty it weighs just a hair over 5300 lbs.

That's surprisingly light. My buddy's '05 F-250 (diesel) scaled at just over 8,000lbs with him in it, empty bed. Crew cab Lariat.

Our Expedition is just over 6,100lbs according to the dump scales with 1/4 tank IIRC and me in it.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: KenO

That's surprisingly light. My buddy's '05 F-250 (diesel) scaled at just over 8,000lbs with him in it, empty bed. Crew cab Lariat.

Our Expedition is just over 6,100lbs according to the dump scales with 1/4 tank IIRC and me in it.

Ya, I think so too. Figure the 4wd stuff is at least another ~400-500 lbs if it were a 4x4. Add another ~500 lbs or so if it were a diesel, along with the bigger brakes and spindles, and a few more leafs in the springs. Even still....

Ford got porky, now with aluminum they are back down to where they should be.

I bet a 1995 F250 wouldn't scale that much...

Last edited:
It's kind of funny all of the marketing about Ford going to aluminum and losing so much weight when in fact since they were heavier to begin with they are now competitive with others depending on the exact model.

Being heavier isn't a problem if the added heft is structural
smile.gif

smile.gif

haha! Agreed.

My 05 loaded LT Silverado 2wd with 5.3, auto, and every conceivable option only weighed in at 4990 pounds. It was one of the best features of the truck. Contributed to far superior handling and braking. It towed, hauled, and drove well for 126k miles and was sold for over 40% of its purchase price recently.

You pay for "road hugging weight" in fuel, tires, brakes, etc., every day. It is significant over the life of the vehicle...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
smile.gif

haha! Agreed.

My 05 loaded LT Silverado 2wd with 5.3, auto, and every conceivable option only weighed in at 4990 pounds. It was one of the best features of the truck. Contributed to far superior handling and braking. It towed, hauled, and drove well for 126k miles and was sold for over 40% of its purchase price recently.

You pay for "road hugging weight" in fuel, tires, brakes, etc., every day. It is significant over the life of the vehicle...

That's true. The 'duty I mentioned earlier loved tires. Didn't help it was driven with a tune on it and WOT a lot either, LOL
wink.gif

smile.gif

Didn't Chrysler used to advertise about the road hugging weight of their cars?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
smile.gif

Didn't Chrysler used to advertise about the road hugging weight of their cars?

With like the Imperial? Perhaps.

Work truck 2wd (lowest cost, standard cabs, short beds):

Ford: 4,050 lbs
Chevy: 4,521 lbs difference is 471 lbs.
2009 Crown Victoria: 4,134 lbs, heavier than the new F-150
2014 F-150: 4,685 lbs, so it used to weigh more than Silverado!

Last edited:
smile.gif

I think my Dads 03 F150 5.4 4x4 suicide 4 door is near 6700lbs, but its one of the fold up models in the crash tests... I don't know where they put all the weight as its not particularly rigid either, and its also a 14-15-16 mpg hwy truck.
Its not one of Ford finest design efforts, but its relatively trouble free atleast.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
smile.gif

I think my Dads 03 F150 5.4 4x4 suicide 4 door is near 6700lbs, but its one of the fold up models in the crash tests... I don't know where they put all the weight as its not particularly rigid either, and its also a 14-15-16 mpg hwy truck.
Its not one of Ford finest design efforts, but its relatively trouble free atleast.

It was the 2WD that folded, the 4x4 had a different front end and was much better in the crash test.

And yeah, they weren't very rigid. The frames were beefy but there was a lot of movement independent of that, LOL!

Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Work truck 2wd (lowest cost, standard cabs, short beds):

Ford: 4,050 lbs
Chevy: 4,521 lbs difference is 471 lbs.
2009 Crown Victoria: 4,134 lbs, heavier than the new F-150
2014 F-150: 4,685 lbs, so it used to weigh more than Silverado!

2wd base Chevy work truck with no options scales at 4,700-4,800 pounds depending on fuel load, I probably have 100 pounds of [censored] in it at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back