Winter mailbox post replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
I had my mailbox clamped to a sawhorse for a couple of weeks back after one blizzard of the '90s.

This. A lot of guys here will put a 5 foot 2x4 on a 3.5 foot sawhorse and have it sticking out a little.

As snowbanks move, adjust your mailbox so it sticks out just enough. Or haul it in if there'll be overnight plowing.

Off topic.

My brother has a mailbox post that actually is a crankshaft out of a six-cylinder truck engine. It's rather robust. I believe he has it bolted to concrete, crankshafts have a convenient mounting flange for that purpose. It's also as attractive as a crankshaft can be, being painted a light shade of blue to match the trim on his house. Of course if a car hit it, it would be like, well, hitting a crankshaft bolted into the ground. Clang!

Perhaps a summer project?

Build a brick one yourself for a weekend project some nice warm day. If you bury the base at least half a foot, the next car that runs into it won't be driving off, or will at least be paying several thousand dollars to fix.

Hmm, I have a few sawhorses and some cinderblocks laying around. And a scratched to heck brewing bucket that can't be sanitized, so sand is viable as well. I'm calling the local post office tomorrow to see what they say. Sawhorses and buckets are seen around me, so I'm guessing that both would likely pass muster.

Next up: spring for an indestructible mailbox that will survive any future rundowns or vandals, or gamble it won't happen again with a cheap one? The wife wants to get a vandal-resistant mailbox that we can pick up from down the street and re-attach to a new post the next time this happens. I'm sorta inclined to agree with her...

Set up your flagpole and see if anyone salutes.

I was unaware of rural postal box regulations (height etc) until I got a helpful postcard with my mail when I moved to the country. Punchline, I still got my mail.

They mostly wanted my name for their records.

Closing this out: Turns out the post that was installed was designed to break away cleanly. So all that I need to do is purchase a replacement bracket and hammer down the post, then mount the new mailbox. Sweet! Saves me a fair bit of hassle.

Last edited:
They make metal ground anchors that you can pound or screw into the ground. You slide your 4x4 post into the bracket on top and attach it with lag bolts. Should be no problem in winter. You could also pour a bucket of hot water on your spot first to soften it a little. See here:

Install a Mailbox Post in the Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back