I Cut Open Three Random Purolators Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today i grabbed 3 random purolators one was a Pl24651 the next was a PL24457 and one was a PL14477 and cut them all open. Mileage and time in service is unknown because i picked them out of the old oil filter garbage can.. This is the place we throw the filters off engines we are rebuilding or using for parts.
Of the three random filters i cut apart there were no tears or anything else that looked bad. The media in all three of them looked a little wavy but also very dirty in two of them so im sure they were in use a long time. In my opinion these three random purolator filters did their job well. I will cut a few others opened next week and report back. Sorry everyone no pictures. I will also cut a few other brands just for curiosity sake. Again i don't know anything about how long they were in use or when they were made but they did look ok when i opened them up.

lol I have about 50+ oil filters at the shop that I could cut...but these are old school GM owners with their 3k OCI done religiously, I doubt they are worth it, my mom's camry with 2AZ-FE had a fram ultra for 18k that I could cut open...hmmmm

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Lured again for a thread without pics!

When there's nothing to see, then why do you think you need pictures?

the pleats were a little wavy and i did not even look at the date codes i just picked three randomly at the top of the pile.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

Not saying crazyoildude is making up a story about cut open Purolators, but pics do maintain the integrity of "cut open" threads on BITOG.

they were cut open spur of the moment... I will take a couple of pictures next time but im not so sure i will be able to post them i may have to e mail them to someone that knows how.

Since you have access to a variety of filters you might want to look at the known problem part numbers, if available to you. I am one that have used the top 2 problem model PureOnes over for over 8 years. In my Toyota the 10241's clearly show media breakdown in the typical location. My Honda use of the 14610 have not shown any problems. Clearly my 14610's have had much straighter and even spaced pleats.

From the spreadsheet;
14610 13
10241 11
14459 8
14460 5
20195 5

Originally Posted By: sir1900

Not saying crazyoildude is making up a story about cut open Purolators, but pics do maintain the integrity of "cut open" threads on BITOG.

Ouch, that's pretty harsh.

I'd be more worried more about impugning the integrity of a BITOG member if I were you.

Thanks crazyoildude for cutting and reporting these results.

If members don't cut 2014 or newer Purolator/Bosch filters, we will never know if Purolator's historically high quality has returned.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: sir1900

Ouch, that's pretty harsh.

I'd be more worried more about impugning the integrity of a BITOG member if I were you.

Thanks crazyoildude for cutting and reporting these results.

If members don't cut 2014 or newer Purolator/Bosch filters, we will never know if Purolator's historically high quality has returned.

Please read my post again. I in no way suggested crazyoildude was making up a story.

Pictures do maintain the integrity of "cut open" threads especially at a time when Purolators are being avoided like the plague by various members here (and rightfully so I might add). Pictures help restore the confidence people have on a product they enjoyed using, but refuse to now because of the tears.

It will take a lot to restore my confidence. I'd like to see the company acknowledge a problem, and say what they've done to fix it.

Staying silent does not instill confidence.

I am going to keep using pure1 and some Fram ultras. I will post what I find and if I find any issues I will post pics. If not I will just post brand, model and amount. If you don't know what a good filter with no issues looks like by now you wont know what a bad one looks like anyway LOLhahaha...

No problem i will try to post some pictures of the next ones i cut im hoping they are improving because i liked them very much at one time (group 7)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

That would imply we only have the OF forum to post pictures of failed filters. Which is obviously not the case.

I want to see ALL filters, otherwise it's just a nice bed time story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back