Flu Turned Pneumonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Kira
Do you know those lung "exercisers" they give to everyone admitted into a hospital-I assume for more than a few days? The patient blows into it and moves a scale (a flapper).

My sister has spina bifida, and sever scolliosis. Whenever in hospital, and as you say, sedentary, on about day three, ends up with a near collapsed lung, which is why they bring out the machines.

Has reinflated a couple of collapsed lungs...and yes, staved off infection assuredly.

I got sick for the first time in a while last weekend. The bad part was only a day, but my nose stayed closed for a day or two after. How miserable.

I'm no fan of flu shots - I'd rather get sick and build real immunity. Fortunately despite 50% travel and long hours sometime, I've been fortunate.

Flu shots aren't as effective as some say it is, especially when the strain of the flu mutates from what the government thought it would be.

Big pharmaceutical companies are pro flu shots for obvious reasons.

My dad caught something like this about a month ago and it took him a few weeks to recover back to 100%. As mentioned, just take it easy.

This happened to me in the 9th grade. I was off for a few days from school, went back and after the first day I couldn't think why I was feeling SO warm. Went downhill from there with pneumonia. I almost got held back a year because of this as both bugs kept me out around two weeks even though I was doing all the homework.

I had a lung collapse in '89 and have NO fond memories of those breathing gadgets. They had to go in and staple the lung after the first two procedures didn't work. Maybe scar tissue from the pneumonia weakened the spot where I got the hole...I don't know.

Hanging in there, feel a good bit better but no where close to 100%.
Still a little pain behind the eyes and mind a little foggy (more so than usual lol).
The hardest part for me is not doing things i need to get done that i cant pay someone else to do.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The hardest part for me is not doing things i need to get done that i cant pay someone else to do.

Yep...I'm still catching up. Frustrating indeed. Still need to pull the sled's front axles to replace some torn CV boots. Further frustrating is how long it took for my lungs to clear and to get rid of that stupid, nagging little cough.

I've always wondered if there's any truth to the often-heard-saying to "push the fluids". As if you could actually flush your body clean of colds, flu, etc. Perhaps drinking 16oz (2 cups) of water/hr while awake for 4-5 days straight. The goal being to pee frequently. It would certainly give your kidneys a work out!

I'm really enjoying dark beer at this time of year. During the Summer when it's 105°F in the shade, I drink the cheap, lighter stuff. It's just too hot for dark beer.

Bocks are one of my favorite. Here it's Shiner Bock and their Schwarzbier. Freshly brewed about an hours drive away. I also enjoy Guinness Stout this time of year.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
I really like a nice Kupfer Bock in the winter. This one is an all time favorite, a memorable beer if you can get it.
It doesn't travel well.

http://www.winkler-braeu.de/en/craft-brewery/kupfer-beers/kupfer-bock.html

i heard vikings where drinking warm beer in the winter cold.
to ward off cold (and it does not interfere with any medication....) i know 2 recipes:
-red wine + slow boil + sugar (brown or honey) + cinnamon = drink hot one glass than go under 4 blankies
-vodka + slow boil + sugar/honey + black pepper = drink hot one shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back