Odd Little Things We Do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Yeah, I think we may all be a bit OCD here.

Me:

1. Light switches. I have to confirm they are off. If they don't "feel" right. I turn them on and off again. This may happen several times.

2. Bullets. They all have to sit right in the case. Or on the desk. They have to be in perfect rows.

3. Gas caps. They have to click three times. If it is one that doesn't continue to click, I click it three times.

4. Oil fill caps. Have to be perfectly located. And clicked. Too many click is OK. Not aligned properly is not.

5. When installing screws in a light switch, they have to be symmetrical.

But I can have other stuff in a state of complete chaos/mess and it doesn't bother me
21.gif

Got 1,3, and 5 down!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: Turk
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

4. When I take a product off the shelf to buy, it has to be the one at the very front. The only time I take the second product behind the first product is if there's something wrong with the first product.

I do the exact opposite. You'd be surprised how many people open-up, fondle,
take out pieces in the box up front.

I always take the item behind the front one!

Take the one from the back (if its food items). They stock from the back to sell the oldest merchandise first. The back products will be the freshest stock. Check the expiration dates and you'll see.

That's if the clerk stocked everything correctly.. Lol.

I take from the middle, i don't trust low paid employees to be that conscientious that old stock is rotated. But in case it is i want the newer, plus the dented opened stock that is in the front. So i take from the middle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Me too, especially milk. The freshers with later expiration date are almost always at the rear, the older gallons are almost always at the front rows.

I'm a stickler for having the freshest milk, so I will often spend 2 or 3 minutes rummaging through the milk in the store in order to find the absolute freshest possible milk.

And it doesn't stop at just milk actually, I will do that with anything that shows a best before date on it.

Originally Posted By: Patman
And it doesn't stop at just milk actually, I will do that with anything that shows a best before date on it.

Yep,same here! :^)

1.I Can't stand the interior of any of my vehicles to be dirty And by dirty I mean the smallest bit of dust or dirt/grass from outside. No un needed things, nothing in the cup holders or storage compartments, nothing in the glove box or arm rest storage. I always clap my feet before I get in and make sure not to bump or rub my feet on any of the plastic interior pieces to prevent scratches. when detailing the interiors I use compressed air to blow any dust debree away from the interior. Vacuum everything thoroughly Making sure to shake the mats and then vaccuum them again once back in the car. I wipe the door frames and seals with a micro fiber cloth and then put a light coat of uv protectant on door trim and the dash.

2. I always keep a sunshade in the winshield to keep the uv off of the dash and interior.

3. I check the oil way to much. None of my vehicles consume much if any oil but I still check it at least every other time I leave the house. Drives my wife nuts!

4.wheels always straight when parking, don't slam the door when getting out and double check doors are locked especially in a parking lot/area i'm not familiar with.

5.when refilling oil into engine the funnel can't have any lint or dust on it, I also blow away dirt from around fill hole before removing the oil fill cap.

6.I always drive extremely slow until the engine temp is in the normal operating range, making sure not to accelerate abruptly or exceed the speed limit.

7.I won't park near other vehicles. Even if it is raining and I have to walk a long distance. My ocd just can't take door dings.

We got Salt Spray here and the cars get covered. Headlights get dirty.
I always clean the headlights any time they are dirty. Daily if necessary.

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

Oh, in case you forgot........

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

Originally Posted By: turboaccord1

7.I won't park near other vehicles. Even if it is raining and I have to walk a long distance. My ocd just can't take door dings.

Me too. The girlfriend has always made fun of me about this. Last semester at school, she was sitting in her beloved Volvo and bam. A girl slammed her door right into the passenger front. She didn't go after the person to fix the issues (i disagreed with her choice, but its her car so i left it at that.) and at least it didnt take any paint off. She said the girl looked terrified when she confronted her, but didnt seem to be aware of the damage she made. One photo of the license plate and a trip to campus police would have fixed it for me. She claims if it took paint off, she would have pursued it.

Lets just say she parks like me now.
smile.gif

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

taillights, as well. I do it often. doing this COULD be the difference between someone behind you stopping, or stopping in your back seat.
it's not ocd/odd -- it's common sense to make yourself as visible as possible to other drivers.
a few neighbors/friends used to kid me about it over the years, but over time, they started doing it.again, common sense.
good thread, people.

Hmm, finally realized what I do that is odd.

I carry my car keys on one keychain. On a second keychain is house keys and other keys. And a spare set of car keys. Years ago I somehow managed to lock myself out of a car twice, and the "fix" was to carry a spare. (Have never locked myself out since, but the habit persists.)

When I go to bed at night, I make sure my pants are ready to go at moments notice. Keys and wallet have to be in them. If I have to go in the middle of the night, I can be out in seconds. That comes from dorm life in college, where o dark thirty fire alarms were monthly if not more frequent.

At the moment I would like to replace my daily driver with another Toyota. Why? Simplicity. One scan tool, same driver controls. That seems reasonable, but I'd like it to be a 2009 Yaris, that way I'd have an 09, a 10 and an 11. Compact, mid and full sized. Now that's pretty bad! It won't happen but it was more than a passing thought.

Originally Posted By: andyd
DBMaster I have been taking a 40 mg Citalapram (Celexa) since I was diagnosed. I call them my happy pills . The only side effect was that my cheeks ached from smiling so much. Long before cancer, I've had bouts of depression since my 20s. Not any more.
grin2.gif

I have had anxiety issues for as long as I can recall. They became quite obtrusive during my college years. They made my marriage difficult (being married to someone with similar issues). I took Effexor for three years and then weaned myself off. That took buying empty capsule shells and making my own decreasing dosages over the course of two months. I was able to be off meds for almost a year. I was also unemployed for most of that year. By the time I had a new job lined up I decided to go back on the meds. I am now on paroxetine (Paxil). I understand that it is just as addictive and difficult to give up. So, I guess I'm on it for life. The side effects (not too bad for me) are well worth it. Panic attacks are rare and very short lived now. Yes, I have gone the therapy route, too, and as I get older I have learned to let some things go.

Basically, it can be a curse to be observant, thorough, and smart. Based upon my 2.5 years on BITOG I can tell a lot of you are in the same boat.

Originally Posted By: mjk
A BITOG gathering must be as dysfunctional an event as I could ever imagine.

Ok....

I practice safe sex cuz you never know. I always have oral sex first, if my tongue falls off I have time to save my pecker.

Last edited:
I'm a bit of a neat freak. I hate clutter. Things need to be level, parallel, lined up, whatever.
I'm always making sure all the light switches are in the down position on all the 3 way and 4 way switches in the house. If the light is off, the switches need to be down. We have a ton of these, the builder went crazy. I clean the kitchen every day. No used cups or dishes anywhere to be seen. Dirty goes in the dishwasher. I like the house in 'show' condition on a daily basis. We've moved so many times that I can't help it. Bills that come in the mail are paid same day (back in the mail). NO SHOES in the house, no exceptions.
Socks and shoes are right foot first, always has been and can't change now. Gloves are left hand first. Doesn't matter what for, motorcycle, weight lifting, snow, or work.
Won't leave the house without a knife and gun plus at least one spare magazine for the gun. Everything always goes in the same pockets. I always bring a spare door key for the car I'm driving in case of a lock out. Bills are in order in wallet.

I keep extra stock of the things we will always use, TP, detergent, bath soap, shampoo, oil, gasoline, ammo, water, food, etc....
Certain jeans are for riding the motorcycle and I have belts to go with them.
Guns get cleaned after shooting, even if it was once. All my ammo is separated. Can't mix it. Guns in the safe get rotated and lubed every few months.

I don't know if this qualifies as OCD but I just try to be somewhat prepared. There's more but some have been listed already.

Originally Posted By: Sonic

I keep extra stock of the things we will always use, TP, detergent, bath soap, shampoo, oil, gasoline, ammo, water, food, etc....

I'm the same way, I hate to run out of things, so there is always an extra supply of TP, bottled water, paper towels, vitamins, shampoo, soap and even all of the cereals we eat have at least 3 extras just to be safe. I hate paying full price for things, so when stuff goes on sale I buy a bunch of it.

My wife loves it, as she'll often run out of something from the cupboard upstairs and she'll ask "is there any of this downstairs" (in the basement storage) and of course my answer is always yes
smile.gif

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

Must.
Have.
Clean.
Headlights!

This. And a clean windshield as well. I'm embarrassed to count how many bottles of washer fluid I have in the garage, but my fleet's headlights and windshields are sparkling...
grin.gif

My car must be meticulously maintained, and anything that breaks must be fixed ASAP. I mean anything.

Trim piece worn out? You can bet it'll be replaced before the next road trip.

now tell us, what do you do if:
-need to install a hdd in a computer case (4 screws)
-need to put a laptop case back (26-30 screws)

I HATE CHEAP SCREWDRIVERS that twist/break from a computer screw! come one....

People who have only a #1 Phillips screwdriver in the house.
They ask you to do them a favor and you ask for a #2 Phillips screwdriver, they reply "what's that?".
You know at that instant how chewed-up every Phillips screw is going to be in their house. Unless it's like pandus13's screwdriver, in which case it's a Phillips #naught screwdriver and the screws are still removable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back