2002 Dodge Ram 1500 3.7L dead bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sister has a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 3.7L V6. She was driving it yesterday while idling at a drive-thru and it started acting up. Hesitating, stalling at every stop and over all running like garbage.
She managed to get it home and my family is looking at it. It was 3 quarts low on oil. They said its making a ticking or knocking noise. My step Mother is the one I am helping with the diagnoses. She is familliar with rod knock from a couple of Ford 4.2L V6 engines they've had and she said it isnt nearly that loud or metallic sounding.
The codes were pulled and they got P0300, P0302, P0304
So, at least two cylinders down with a probable third.
I looked up the firing and cylinder locations. 2 and 4 are both on the passenger bank, 2 at the front and 4 in the middle. For S&G I had her cancel #6 from the same bank and she reported no change in the engine running. Almost appears like the whole passenger bank is dead. Im trying to think of what would be common to one side and keep coming back to maybe the cam jumped time on that side. Ive read about these engines dropping a follower off the cam but that would take out a single cylinder.
Im trying to get a video from her. The other videos I have are full of fan noise ($#%@ mechanical fans) so Im having her remove the belt temporarily to get a clear video of it running and Ill post it shortly.

Well, if the 3 quarts low ties in, maybe there is a problem with the intake manifold being breached, sucking out of the valley? That could account for oil disappearing, extremely lean mixture, and possibly some odd knocking noises, if a piece is moving around under the intake. That could effect one whole bank of the motor. And it pretty much covers all the symptoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back