Manual transmission additive help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything I can put in my 97f150 manual with the aft to get smoother shifts? Trans is a Mazda unit and high miles just hard to get into 1st from a stop.

Could be the clutch as mentioned above, but you can try to shift to second gear first then shift from second to first, that is what I usually did when I came to complete stop.

Not an additive, but I have been using Redline MT90 in a couple of Toyota truck trannies for well over a decade. It is the best thing that ever happened to shifting, with these.

Check for complete clutch release; put the pedal all the way to the floor and then raise it a half inch. You should be able to shift through all the gears that way when the vehicle is standing still; any hard shifting or the vehicle starts moving and the clutch likely isn't releasing all the way.

As far as an additive, try adding half a quart of Pennzoil synchromesh. It makes for incredibly smooth shifting.

What fluid are you using now? The Ford Motorcraft GL-4 manual trans gear oils are very good. I'm using the Motor craft conventional stuff in my Corolla and it shifts awesome.

Find a fluid meant for a manual transmission.

Domestic auto makers sometimes used automatic transmission fluid in a manual to save money. It was to eliminate a guy in the pit who's sole purpose was to fill the fluid in a manual transmission.

Don't believe me, believe a Chrysler manual transmission engineer in his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_toEAYSOB0

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BJ4EF0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is what you need. Fixed all my problems getting into gear at a stop light. My bushings were totally gone. I use Pennzoil syncromesh in mine and I like it better than ATF.

It says it doesn't fit a 97 F-150 but it fits all the new Rangers so I think it would work. Try lifting up on the shifter, and if there is any up/down slop this will help you a lot. I could not believe I put up with mine as long as I did before I discovered this fix..

Originally Posted By: stroked93
I just have dex3 in it now. Valvoline high mileage

Switch to a real MTF and see what that does before trying an additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back