OCOD PH3593A cut open 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filter condition is looking good after 5k miles, the only problem I can see with almost all Fram Extra Guard is lack of filter media, it doesn't have as many pleats as Tough Guard or other filter brands.

I stopped using Fram oil filters years back and started using Purolator oil filters, remind me why again??

I know Ive read on the forums that Some people were returning to using Fram oil filters, and I think I will be next too!

That filter shows the common problem of the center tube to end cap alignment that can lead to constant bypass. You can see the center tube sticking above the end cap at the 7:30 position in the second photo.

Sport_Injection, can you take a closeup picture of that area and the other end of the filter so that we can see if the end cap did or did not seal properly?

Ed

Wait so you mean to tell me they can make an affordable filter that dosent tear?
28.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Wait so you mean to tell me they can make an affordable filter that dosent tear?
28.gif

Yeah!

The Napa ProSelect.
48.gif

* OP, that is one wicked filter cutter by the way.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edhackett
That filter shows the common problem of the center tube to end cap alignment that can lead to constant bypass. You can see the center tube sticking above the end cap at the 7:30 position in the second photo.

Sport_Injection, can you take a closeup picture of that area and the other end of the filter so that we can see if the end cap did or did not seal properly?

Ed

No, the base plate extends further out from the center tube, sealing everything off. I had this concern when looking at using the TG, so I put some marker and colored the base plate of a cut open TG and pressed it down on the fiber end cap. To my pleasure, the marker had fully transferred over from the base plate to the fiber end disc and formed a nice ring showing that there is a good seal.

Im Impressed, that looks pretty good and the media is not wavy at all i don't use fram but that filter looked pretty good after 5000 miles, i have to say i cut opened three random purolators yesterday and they looked good also.

Now here is the question of the day....Where did you get that filter cutter and how much???

You go Jay! I will be cutting a PH3614 when it has 5k+ miles, probably in February. I'll take a picture of the concerned area noted above.

Last edited:
Nice looking filter. If a Fram, with those dreaded "cardboard" end caps, can keep the filter media from turning into a wavy acid trip, what's the excuse from other manufacturers?

/sarcasm

It's a moniker. I actually cut open an Extra Guard today that had cardboard end caps, and even though they were very saturated, the glue held together, and the cardboard intact.

As a matter of fact, I couldn't remove the media from the cardboard by hand. Dunno how they do it, but they do.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

Ed

I see the area you referring to and would also like to see further endcap pics. Many times those views are not shown with the fiber endcap dissections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back