Ford Explorer Oil Questions ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a explorer that needs a oil change badly ...I will list specs below .I have a couple questions and wanted to see what you guys though ... This will be my first oil change since I bought the truck and I think jiffy lube was the last place to change the oil.. I plan on using a motorcraft filter and not sure if they are good but have always used ..My problem comes the oil choice.. I have 4qts of Castrol High mileage already but I was always put mobil 1 extended in all my trucks .. My questions is do I pick up a single qt of castrol high milage or do I use the mobil 1 extended ?? Also I saw Castrol makes a full syn with the 15,000 miles ratings and I wanted to know what you guys about the these since mobil 1 makes one too ?? Also I don't care about the money...

Specs
98 Explorer
4.0l Sohc V6
156,00 miles
Driving Habits- The trucks mostly sits and gets driven 2 day a week for about 40 total miles with alot of stop and go .(I would like the different habits separated in opinions if possible) I will be staring a new job hopefully where I will driving 50miles each way with mostly highway but some stop and go ...

Thanks

Last edited:
For a 15 year old SUV, most any regular high mileage semi-synthetic and standard oil filter is more than adequate for semi-annual LOF servicing.

Oils today are far superior to those used in 1998.

Save your money and use the higher synthetics for a newer vehicle with a lot less miles. Do not do extended drains on a vehicle whose maintenance you're unfamiliar with.

I'd get another bottle of Castrol and run it 3-5k miles just to use it up.

Just because an oil says it can go 15,000 miles doesn't necessarily mean it can in your car. You should change it at 10k and do a Used Oil Analysis to make sure its up to the task of stretching it out further.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I'd get another bottle of Castrol and run it 3-5k miles just to use it up.

+1

Yep another bottle of the Castrol or something similar and run it about 5k. Make sure to stick with a 5w30, that engine was never specified to run anything less.

After the Castrol I'd recommend Maxlife 5w30 every 5k ish.

I agree with everyone above. I would not try extended drains on this SUV, you don't know how everything looks on the inside and you do not want to find out the hard way. 5k intervals with a decent oil and Motorcraft filters are what I would do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back